Shot Manchester teenager Jessie James inquest to resume
Published: 13th Feb 2010 10:34:34
The inquest into the death of schoolboy Jessie James will resume later in the year, almost four years after he was shot dead in south Manchester.
The 15-year-old was shot three times as he cycled through Broadfield Park, Moss Side, on 9 September 2006.
An inquest was dramatically halted in August 2007 after a new witness came forward and two arrests were made.
But almost three years on and with no-one charged with his murder, proceedings will resume in June 2010.
In 2007, Coroner Nigel Meadows allowed anonymous witnesses and voice distortion technology in a bid to break down the "wall of silence" over the killing.
Detectives have always believed that people within the community know who the gunman is - but are too frightened to talk to police.
After the hearing was adjourned in 2007, officers said the new witness - known only as "witness XZ" - had come forward as a direct result of the public inquest.
Two inmates were subsequently arrested on suspicion of murder but the Crown Prosecution Service said there was insufficient evidence to prosecute.
Greater Manchester Police believe Jessie's killing may have bee a case of mistaken identity and that he was "in the wrong place at the wrong time".
However, his mother Barbara Reid told the original inquest he was killed for refusing to join a gang.
Det Ch Supt Jane Antrobus, senior investigating officer on the murder investigation, continued to urge witnesses to come forward.
She said: "This inquest will look at the circumstances leading up to Jessie's death and it is for the coroner to establish what happened on that evening in September 2006.
"The police have established a comprehensive sequence of events, however vital evidence to identify and prosecute Jessie's killer is still being sought.
"It is right that the police at this time take this opportunity to again appeal for people to search their hearts and minds and come forward to assist us.
"His family also remain determined to see the people responsible brought before the courts.
"Jessie's family, the police and people living in Moss Side don't want this evil killer to get away with it and we are still doing all we can to find the people responsible for this horrific crime."
At 07:59:15 in SportPontypridd coach Geraint Lewis says the club will play "arguably the most important game" for 10 years on Saturday when they face Leinster A in the semi-final of the British and Irish Cup.
At 07:49:25 in SportDominic Dale hopes his "lucky" black and white striped shoes will help him overcome fellow qualifier Michael Wasley and reach the quarter-finals of the World Championship.
At 07:45:02 in SportOlympic long jump champion Greg Rutherford has become the outright British record holder after jumping 8.51m at an event at the Olympic Training Centre in San Diego.
At 07:42:22 in HeadlinesThe Pakistani journalist shot last week has issued his first statement, once again blaming the country's intelligence agency for the attack.
At 07:15:06 in WalesEmergency care in Welsh hospitals is suffering from continued uncertainty over the future of A&E units, an assembly committee has said.
At 07:06:33 in SportSwansea City head coach Garry Monk says fellow fledgling boss Ryan Giggs has the experience to succeed at Manchester United but must be true to himself.
At 07:04:15 in WalesA south Wales town has been identified as a blackspot for dumped supermarket trolleys.
At 06:55:55 in ScotlandAbout 100 tonnes of rubbish is on fire at a waste recycling site in Perthshire.
At 06:50:31 in Northern IrelandA car built in Belfast in the 1980s is the centrepiece of a specialist engineering project at Queen's University in the city.
At 06:44:31 in WalesNational parks should be stripped of their planning powers, according to the Farmers' Union of Wales.
Harvard CitationBBC News, 2010. Shot Manchester teenager Jessie James inquest to resume [Online] (Updated 13th Feb 2010)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/36964/Shot-Manchester-teenager-Jessie-James-inquest-to-resume [Accessed 25th Apr 2014]
News In Other Categories
With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
The M25 in Hertfordshire has reopened after an articulated lorry caught fire on the anti-clockwise carriageway, the Highways Agency said.
Emergency care in Welsh hospitals is suffering from continued uncertainty over the future of A&E units, an assembly committee has said.
Iran has cut state subsidies on petrol in a move that saw prices rise at midnight by up to 75%.
A village museum in East Sussex will go up against Tate Britain and the new £35m Mary Rose Museum in a contest to be named the UK's museum of the year.
A car built in Belfast in the 1980s is the centrepiece of a specialist engineering project at Queen's University in the city.