25/Apr/2014 - Last News Update: 05:47

Investigation into Canterbury suspect device

Category: England

Published: 15th Sep 2011 09:37:07

Police are carrying out house-to-house inquiries after a suspect package sparked a security alert in Canterbury for the second time in three weeks.

Kent Police were called to Broad Street on Wednesday and cordoned off a 100m (330ft) area for about three hours.

Bomb disposal experts carried out a controlled explosion but the device was found to be harmless.

Leader of Canterbury City Council John Gilbey called the person responsible for leaving the device "despicable".

Ch Supt Mark Nottage, of Kent Police, said: "There will now be a detailed investigation, including my officers, who are carrying out house-to-house inquiries and searches of the area.

"There will also be detailed forensics investigation and what I would ask is that anyone who has seen anything suspicious in the Broad Street area of Canterbury [on Wednesday] to contact Kent Police."

Just unforgivable and unacceptable”

The alert began when an off duty police officer saw the suspect package in Broad Street.

The nearby Diocesan of Payne Smith Primary School was evacuated, as well as nearby homes.

Canterbury Cathedral was temporarily closed as a precaution but later reopened.

Mr Gilbey said: "Just unforgivable and unacceptable. Despicable behaviour really by someone, obviously we don't know who yet.

"It's a welcome relief that this is not a real attempt, it's another hoax but it hasn't shown any signs of affecting people in Canterbury."

On 26 August, two bomb hoaxes caused a major alert in the city. Trains were halted and parts of the city cleared.

Police found a hoax device at the railway line in Old Dover Road, while a second was discovered near a fire which broke out in Marks & Spencer.

Kent Police said there was no evidence at present to link the latest hoax device to last month's incident.

Source:
BBC News External Link Show Citation

Latest News

Harvard Citation

BBC News, 2011. Investigation into Canterbury suspect device [Online] (Updated 15th Sep 2011)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/186029/Investigation-into-Canterbury-suspect-device [Accessed 25th Apr 2014]

News In Other Categories

  • Bristol Academy extends reach overseas with first foreign students

    With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
  • Krishna Maharaj: New hearing for Briton in US prison

    A US judge has ordered a hearing to consider new evidence relating to the 1987 double-murder conviction of a British businessman in Miami.
  • Teenager cut free from child's swing at Rhyl park

    A 15 year-old girl has been cut free after becoming trapped in a children's swing in a park in Denbighshire.
  • Zero-hours crackdown plan unveiled by Labour leader

    Ed Miliband will unveil plans to tackle the "epidemic" of zero-hours contracts in a speech in Scotland later.
  • Anfield stadium plans welcomed by fans but cast a shadow

    As Liverpool fans dare to dream of a first league title in 24 years the club has revealed its own lofty plans for their ground.
  • European election candidates in Northern Ireland revealed

    Ten candidates will be vying for three European parliament seats in Northern Ireland, it has been confirmed.