Canterbury alert: Second hoax device found
Published: 27th Aug 2011 11:37:41
Police have revealed that a second hoax device was discovered during a major alert that closed parts of the centre of Canterbury.
Army bomb disposal experts were called following reports of an explosive device in Old Dover Road on Friday.
Trains were halted and parts of the city cleared while police investigated the incident and a separate fire.
On Saturday Kent Police said the first device was a hoax and another hoax item was found near the blaze.
The force also said they had reports of suspicious activity at Kent Cricket Ground but they proved to be unfounded.
About 100 officers were deployed at the height of the incident.
Assistant Chief Constable Andy Adams said: "I am now in a position to say that the first suspicious package on the railway line has been checked by Army bomb disposal experts and is not, as had been reported, an explosive device.
"We are satisfied it is in fact an elaborate hoax designed to appear like a device.
"Bomb disposal have also checked a package associated with the fire in the baby-changing room on the second floor of Marks & Spencer.
"This has also proved to be a hoax device."
He added: "Last night was a difficult evening for the residents of Canterbury and firstly I want to thank them for their patience and perseverance, which has made our task an awful lot easier.
"My overriding principle last night was to ensure that the public were safe. That, by necessity, required us to act slowly and precisely utilising the skills of our military experts.
"I am now confident that the prime focus of our ongoing investigations is the Old Dover Road and Marks & Spencer."
The force said all the roads in Canterbury city centre had been reopened on Saturday.
A section of the railway line is still closed and rail replacement buses are still in place.
Emergency services were first alerted to the scene at 16:21 BST.
About 50 minutes later, Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to Marks & Spencer, in St George's Street, where staff discovered a fire in the baby-changing area on the second floor.
The fire was quickly put out and the store evacuated.
At 15:02:39 in Sport
At 15:02:36 in Headlines
At 14:58:30 in EnglandA body supporting NHS groups in the eastern region has warned it could cease to operate in its "current form".
At 14:53:58 in EnglandSteven Gerrard's cousin, who died in the Hillsborough disaster, would have been "very proud" of the England captain, his mother told an inquest.
At 14:52:57 in EnglandA list of the schools Ofsted has been sent in to inspect over an alleged plot by Muslim hard-liners to seize control of governing bodies has been published.
At 14:52:04 in Scotland
At 14:48:29 in ScotlandThe oil and gas industry is worth about £35bn to the UK economy, according to a new study.
At 14:46:07 in Wales
At 14:44:41 in England
At 14:42:23 in HeadlinesFor centuries, gardeners have put shards of pottery - "crocks" - at the bottom of plant pots to increase drainage. But a new study has debunked the tradition, writes Tom de Castella.
Harvard CitationBBC News, 2011. Canterbury alert: Second hoax device found [Online] (Updated 27th Aug 2011)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/181124/Canterbury-alert-Second-hoax-device-found [Accessed 23rd Apr 2014]
News In Other Categories
With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
Three people have appeared in court charged in connection with an incident at a loyalist protest camp in north Belfast.