McCausland probe into how NIHE contracts managed
Category: Northern Ireland
Published: 5th Jul 2011 08:56:40
The Housing Minister Nelson McCausland has ordered an investigation into how contracts have been managed and monitored at the Housing Executive.
Mr McCausland said he had evidence to show that there had been double charging and over charging for work.
He said it involved more than one NIHE district and more than one contractor.
The NIHE said it was deeply concerned about some of the comments made by the minister.
The executive is holding an emergency board meeting on Tuesday morning to discuss a request by the minister to overturn its decision to end its contract with maintenance firm Red Sky.
The executive ended its £8m contract with the Belfast company in April.
Shortly after the contract was ended the firm went into administration.
Speaking on Good Morning Ulster on Tuesday, Mr McCausland said he was concerned about a number of contracts within the organisation.
"Since coming into the department of social development, I have been very concerned about the management and monitoring of Housing Executive maintenance contracts.
"I have organised an independent forensic investigation to be carried out of the way in which contracts have been managed and monitored.
"There has been internal investigations at a certain level by the NIHE, in addition to one particular piece of external investigation, but I think that is important for the confidence that we need to have in the organisation that there is full forensic investigation."
In a statement, the Housing Executive said it had "carried out robust investigations before taking the decisions which have led to the current position in relation to the Red Sky Group. It would be inappropriate to comment further ahead of this morning's emergency board meeting."
The Housing Executive ended all its repair contracts with Red Sky after it carried out an investigation into its work practices which included allegations of over-charging.
The firm has always denied the allegations.
Last week Nelson McCausland told the Housing Executive to re-instate Red Sky until a new system for awarding contracts was introduced.
The minister said he had asked the Housing Executive to start to procure a new company to carry out the work, but said he had asked Red Sky to maintain their service to Housing Executive tenants until that process was completed.
In response, the Housing Executive said it had received no written instructions relating to the matter.
On Monday, the chairman of the Social Development Committee Alex Maskey asked the minister to "come clean" about why he intervened in the dispute between the Housing Executive and Red Sky.
Mr Maskey said he wanted more details.
"His party has taken a very keen interest and a number of his senior colleagues have quite intensively met with and lobbied on behalf of this company," he said.
"This is very shaky legal ground and that is why I want the minister to come clean and give the public a full and transparent explanation of what is the basis of his intervention."
At 12:58:51 in Northern IrelandA Garda (Irish police) officer has been injured after his motorcycle was rammed by a van in Cork.
At 12:56:34 in SportLiverpool trio Luis Suarez, Steven Gerrard and Daniel Sturridge have received nominations for the Professional Footballers' Association's player of the year award.
At 12:53:13 in SportAlly McCoist concedes Rangers face a stern test in aiming to finish their League One campaign unbeaten.
At 12:49:55 in HeadlinesNigeria's military has admitted that most of the teenage girls abducted by suspected Islamist militants have not been freed as it earlier stated.
At 12:42:39 in SportSpaniard Pablo Larrazabal was forced to jump into a lake to avoid a swarm of hornets at the Malaysian Open, which Lee Westwood continues to dominate.
At 12:41:48 in EnglandA suspected World War Two phosphorus bomb dug up by a seven-year-old girl on a Norfolk beach burst into flames when her mother prodded it with a fork.
At 12:39:34 in SportEverton boss Roberto Martinez expects predecessor David Moyes to be given a warm welcome when Manchester United visit Goodison Park on Sunday.
At 12:32:04 in SportCardiff City manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer defended Aron Gunnarsson after the midfielder was linked with an alleged leak of team details.
At 12:25:26 in EnglandDocklands Light Railway's (DLR) Pudding Mill Lane stop has shut to make way for a much larger station after Easter.
At 12:13:52 in EnglandHillsborough families and supporters will start a 96-mile (154km) walk from Sheffield to Liverpool later.
Harvard CitationBBC News, 2011. McCausland probe into how NIHE contracts managed [Online] (Updated 5th Jul 2011)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/167567/McCausland-probe-into-how-NIHE-contracts-managed [Accessed 18th Apr 2014]
News In Other Categories
Police investigating two sexual assaults in St Andrews have released a CCTV image of a man they want to question.
Barnes & Noble's chairman has trimmed his stake in the bookstore to 20%, by selling shares worth $64m (£38m).
How do you tell the world about your remote-controlled flying fish toys?
Workers at a Newport building firm are facing redundancy after the company warned it was going into administration, union leaders claim.
With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
Liverpool trio Luis Suarez, Steven Gerrard and Daniel Sturridge have received nominations for the Professional Footballers' Association's player of the year award.