24/Apr/2014 - Last News Update: 10:59

Denbigh Castle set for £600,000 visitor centre

Category: Wales

Published: 24th Jun 2011 07:28:41

Denbigh Castle is to undergo a £600,000 revamp, including a new visitor centre.

The custodian, Welsh heritage body Cadw, wants to maximise the visitor potential of the 13th Century castle, which overlooks the Denbighshire town.

It also plans to open up more of the historic walls around Denbigh, giving access to walkers, and providing guided tours.

The castle is due to close next month to allow work to get under way.

Work on the castle began soon after Edward I created the Lordship of Denbigh, which he granted to Henry de Lacy, the Earl of Lincoln, in 1282.

Much of the castle, the town walls, and other historic features still remain, according to county archaeologist Fiona Gale.

From next February when the castle reopens, Cadw wants to make the building a "key heritage visitor attraction", according to Heritage Minister Huw Lewis.

He said: "It's an exciting development for the community of Denbigh, and Cadw's development at the castle will tie in very well with the work undertaken by Denbigh Town Council to develop and promote the historic town's heritage and tourism value."

Last year, the town council helped set up a scheme where volunteer guides offer visitors a tour of the town, sharing its history and providing an insight into its 235 listed buildings.

In all, 19 guides "graduated" with an assessment from the Blue Badge tourist guides.

Sharon Braunton, Denbigh community reporter for BBC Radio Wales, helped set up the guides group with money from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

She said plans for the visitor attraction were "amazing", adding that she was looking forward to seeing more of the historic walls opened up to visitors.

The plans include a purpose-built visitor centre, as well as improvements to the "presentation and interpretation of the monument and walls, and links with the wider historic landscape of Denbigh".

The castle will close its doors on Sunday, 24 July and is due to reopen on Monday, 6 February next year.

Source:
BBC News External Link Show Citation

Latest News

Harvard Citation

BBC News, 2011. Denbigh Castle set for £600,000 visitor centre [Online] (Updated 24th Jun 2011)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/164762/Denbigh-Castle-set-for-600-000-visitor-centre [Accessed 24th Apr 2014]

News In Other Categories

  • DJ Dave Lee Travis denies indecent assault charge in court

    Former Radio 1 DJ Dave Lee Travis has pleaded not guilty to a single charge of indecent assault against a woman, aged over 16, in January 1995.
  • Sohail Tanvir: Northants target overseas all-rounder

    Northamptonshire will attempt to bring in Pakistan all-rounder Sohail Tanvir as their first overseas signing of the County Championship season.
  • Borders to Edinburgh railway: Carlisle extension would be 'wonderful'

    A council leader has said extending the soon to be reopened Borders railway to Carlisle would be "wonderful news".
  • Bristol Academy extends reach overseas with first foreign students

    With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
  • Crime falls 15% in England and Wales

    Overall crime in England and Wales fell by 15% in 2013, according to official figures.
  • Man arrested over Johanna Young death

    A man has been arrested over the murder of a teenage girl who went missing more than 20 years ago.