28/Jul/2014 - Last News Update: 22:54

BBC should not hand over Duggan shooting footage - judge

Category: England

Published: 9th Aug 2012 11:45:17

A judge has said the BBC does not have to give the Metropolitan Police unbroadcast footage of the aftermath of the shooting of Mark Duggan.

The shooting sparked rioting in Tottenham, north London, last August, which later spread across the capital and to other parts of England.

Police applied for the footage as part of their probe into Kevin Hutchinson-Foster, who is accused of supplying Mr Duggan with a gun, something he denies.

The BBC had argued it was not relevant.

Judge David Radford, at Snaresbrook Crown Court, said he was not satisfied the material had substantial value to the case.

The broadcaster welcomed the ruling, saying it upheld important journalistic principles.

A BBC spokeswoman said: "On this occasion we opposed the court order because on the evidence provided by the police we were not satisfied the material was relevant to their investigation."

Mr Hutchinson-Foster, 29, was charged with possession of a firearm after allegedly assaulting a man in a hair salon in Hackney on 29 July last year.

Police believe the weapon used could be the same gun found at the shooting of 29-year-old Mr Duggan, who was shot when his taxi was stopped by armed police officers investigating gun crime on 4 August last year.

Mr Hutchinson-Foster's trial is due to begin next month.

Last month, the judge ruled that seven police officers could give evidence anonymously at Mr Hutchinson-Foster's trial. The judge said he made the order to prevent them from coming to harm.

A service was held to mark the death of Mr Duggan on Sunday, a year on from his death.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission is compiling a report that will be passed to a coroner in the autumn.

An inquest into the death of the father-of-four is due to take place in January but there is a possibility that some evidence about police operations will need to be heard in secret, which would mean that a special type of public inquiry would need to be held instead.

Source:
BBC News External Link Show Citation

Latest News

Harvard Citation

BBC News, 2012. BBC should not hand over Duggan shooting footage - judge [Online] (Updated 9th Aug 2012)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/1445348/BBC-should-not-hand-over-Duggan-shooting-footage-judge [Accessed 28th Jul 2014]

News In Other Categories

  • Chicken factories given all-clear in hygiene audits

    Two poultry factories alleged to have committed hygiene breaches have been rated as "good" and "satisfactory" by the Food Standards Agency (FSA).
  • Glasgow 2014 round-up: Day Five

    The Commonwealth Games is 11 days of non-stop action.
  • Chicken factories given all-clear in hygiene audits

    Two poultry factories alleged to have committed hygiene breaches have been rated as "good" and "satisfactory" by the Food Standards Agency (FSA).
  • Bristol Academy extends reach overseas with first foreign students

    With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
  • Book gift buying fall 'concerns' industry

    A fall in people buying books as gifts has contributed to an overall 4% fall in UK book sales over the past year.
  • China activists fight gay 'conversion therapy'

    Gay rights activists in China are preparing for what they say could be a legal milestone in their fight to stop homosexuality being treated as an illness.