Five sexual assaults in Manchester 'by one man' police say
Published: 4th Aug 2012 12:29:48
Police have increased patrols in south Manchester following five sexual assaults, which officers believe were committed by the same man.
The attacks on women have taken place since July 19 and all were in the Moss Side and Hulme areas.
In all cases the victims described the attacker as black, in his late teens or early 20s, with a slim to medium build.
In the latest incident two 18-year-old girls were assaulted on Barnhill Street at about 04:50 BST.
On 19 July, at about 08:00 BST, a 45-year-old woman was walking along Great Western Street, Moss Side, when a man wearing a blue bubble jacket walked past her, turned and assaulted her.
The next attack took place on 31 July at 22:30 BST on Princess Road, Hulme, when a 17-year-old girl was assaulted by a man wearing a blue shirt and blue tie.
At about 11:00 BST on 1 August a 24-year-old woman was followed along Wilmslow Road and Moss Lane East, then assaulted as she entered a house on Playfair Street.
The man is also described as being about 5ft 6ins (1.7 metres) tall.
Det Insp Theresa Carter said: "We are treating this matter extremely seriously and believe it could be linked to three similar incidents that have happened in the area over the past few weeks.
"Incidents such as this will understandably cause concern in the local community, in particular among women, and I want to reassure them we are doing all we can to identify whoever is responsible.
"We have good descriptions of this person, who has worn fairly distinctive clothing - particularly a blue bubble jacket on one occasion and a blue shirt and tie on another - and we are making inquiries to try and identify him.
"I would urge anyone that thinks they know who is responsible, recognises the description of the person and clothes worn or has any information about any incident to call us.
"We have also put officers out on patrol in the area to offer reassurance and if anyone is concerned they should come and talk to us."
At 18:02:27 in EnglandWork is set to begin replacing the sails on England's only surviving eight-sailed windmill.
At 17:59:46 in HeadlinesTurkish PM Recep Tayyip Erdogan has offered condolences for the first time for the mass killings of Armenians under Ottoman rule during WWI.
At 17:59:15 in SportHearts midfielder Jamie Hamill is to face a disciplinary hearing after knocking Ross County manager Derek Adams to the ground on Saturday.
At 17:58:44 in EnglandA second man has appeared in court in connection with a shooting outside a takeaway in Nottingham.
At 17:57:42 in SportWorld number one Rafael Nadal recovered from last week's early exit in Monte Carlo with a straight-sets win over Albert Ramos at the Barcelona Open.
At 17:49:03 in EnglandA project has been unveiled to link the UK and French power grids through the Channel Tunnel.
At 17:44:26 in HeadlinesThe Duchess of Cornwall's brother, Mark Shand, has sustained a serious head injury in a fall, Clarence House said.
At 17:40:45 in Northern IrelandA home security company is creating 230 jobs by expanding its operations in the Republic of Ireland.
At 17:35:01 in Northern IrelandA man accused of taking part in a sham marriage had allegedly been involved in a previous fake wedding, the High Court in Belfast has been told.
At 17:25:54 in EnglandA shipment of radioactive waste has arrived in Japan from Cumbria, as part of the ongoing programme of cleaning up the Sellafield site.
Harvard CitationBBC News, 2012. Five sexual assaults in Manchester 'by one man' police say [Online] (Updated 4th Aug 2012)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/1444496/Five-sexual-assaults-in-Manchester-by-one-man-police-say [Accessed 23rd Apr 2014]
News In Other Categories
Mexican writer and journalist Elena Poniatowska has received the most important award for literature in the Spanish language, the Cervantes prize.
The Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal is to fully reopen to boaters this weekend after £1m repairs to a section damaged in the winter storms.
Tesco's internet service has been hit by two separate problems that coincided, leaving some of its customers irate.
With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
Turkish PM Recep Tayyip Erdogan has offered condolences for the first time for the mass killings of Armenians under Ottoman rule during WWI.
UKIP has said it is "extremely unhappy and concerned" about the name of another Eurosceptic party contesting the forthcoming European elections.