Welsh floods: Ceredigion appeal fund tops £100,000
Published: 3rd Aug 2012 15:14:49
An appeal fund for victims of June's severe flooding in Ceredigion has topped £100,000, and the first cheques will be handed out next week.
The heavy rain left northern parts of the county underwater, causing damage to properties and holiday homes and affecting more than 1,000 people.
Ceredigion council's fund was founded in the wake of the floods and nearly £105,000 has been raised so far.
The council was presented with £15,000 from two organisations on Thursday.
Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall met flood victims and local emergency services in Aberystwyth last month, and the prince has made a "generous" donation to the appeal.
Cash and cheques ranging in amounts from £3 to £24,000 have been received by the council on behalf of the appeal fund”
Council leader Ellen ap Gwynn said people's generosity had been overwhelming.
"Cash and cheques ranging in amounts from £3 to £24,000 have been received by the council on behalf of the appeal fund and financial donations are still being received," she added.
"I have been working closely with the panel of advisors appointed to draw up guidelines for the distribution of funds to those in need and the panel's assistance has been invaluable.
"Council officers have been working tirelessly in the flood affected areas to ensure that all those who have suffered a loss from the flooding are identified.
"This work is ongoing and we will continue to work with individuals and communities for a long while yet."
The council said the appeal fund would remain open until the 8 June next year.
The latest donations of £10,000 from the Aberystwyth Rotary Club and £5,000 from NatWest in Aberystwyth were presented to Ms ap Gwynn on Thursday.
Earlier this week, a council report written days after June's deluge suggested that communities where homes were flooded might be asked to contribute towards flood defences.
The report went before the council's cabinet on Tuesday.
Aberystwyth and the nearby villages of Talybont, Dol-y-Bont, Capel Bangor, Llanbadarn Fawr and Llandre were among the areas affected by the heavy rain which fell between 8 and 9 June.
In the days after, some families driven from their homes by the water were warned they would have to leave for up to six months, while businesses, especially those in the tourism industry, were told they would be offered government support.
At 23:35:48 in WorldA young girl offered US First Lady Michelle Obama her father's CV during questions at the White House's Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day.
At 23:12:26 in SportFormula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone made his first appearance in a Munich court on Thursday, accused of giving a £27.5m ($45m, 33m euros) bribe to a German banker.
At 22:51:02 in EntertainmentA village museum in East Sussex will go up against Tate Britain and the new £35m Mary Rose Museum in a contest to be named the UK's museum of the year.
At 22:42:55 in BusinessBarclays agreed to a $280m (£167m) settlement with the US Federal Housing and Finance Authority (FHFA).
At 22:30:17 in EnglandThe government says it is making "urgent inquiries" into reports Whitehall computers were used to make insulting comments about the Hillsborough disaster.
At 22:22:33 in HeadlinesRussia and the US have accused each other of failing to de-escalate the crisis in Ukraine after Kiev launched raids on pro-Moscow separatists.
At 22:19:49 in SportWorld number one Rafael Nadal booked his place in the quarter-finals of the Barcelona Open with a 6-3 6-3 win over Croatian Ivan Dodig.
At 22:13:15 in SportFormer Rangers, Hearts and Scotland defender Sandy Jardine has died at the age of 65.
At 22:00:20 in PoliticsThe zero-hours contract - alongside the payday loan and the bad bank - has gained a kind of totemic significance in the public imagination.
At 22:00:03 in ScotlandScottish independence would leave working people north and south of the border worse off, Ed Miliband has claimed.
Harvard CitationBBC News, 2012. Welsh floods: Ceredigion appeal fund tops £100,000 [Online] (Updated 3rd Aug 2012)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/1444359/Welsh-floods-Ceredigion-appeal-fund-tops-100-000 [Accessed 25th Apr 2014]
News In Other Categories
A village museum in East Sussex will go up against Tate Britain and the new £35m Mary Rose Museum in a contest to be named the UK's museum of the year.
Ten candidates will be vying for three European parliament seats in Northern Ireland, it has been confirmed.
A 15 year-old girl has been cut free after becoming trapped in a children's swing in a park in Denbighshire.
With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com