Parents sue over The Expendables 2 stuntman death
Published: 27th Jul 2012 12:49:39
The parents of a stuntman killed during filming of The Expendables 2 are seeking unspecified damages from the film-makers as a result of their son's death.
26-year-old Kun Liu was killed while performing on an inflatable boat on the Ognyanovo dam in Bulgaria.
He died from wounds he suffered from an on-set explosion nearby.
His parents have filed a case of wrongful death against Millennium Films and the movie's stunt coordinator.
The Expendables 2 features an all-star action hero cast, including Sylvester Stallone, Jet Li, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bruce Willis.
Kun Liu's parents, Zong Yu Liu and Yan Mei Bai, claim the filmmakers and Stahelski "negligently and carelessly failed to provide adequate protection from hard to the participants of the stunts".
They are suing for funeral and burial expenses as well as "the loss of society, love, comfort, attention, services and support" of their son.
Elizabeth Wolfe, a spokeswoman for Millennium Films, and stunt co-ordinator, Chad Stahelski declined to comment on the case.
At the time of Lui's death in October 2011, Bulgarian authorities reported another stuntman was seriously injured during the explosion.
Millenium films denied reports in the Bulgarian press that the doubles for stars Sly Stallone and Jet Li had been involved in the accident.
Stallone, who directed the first Expendables film and is producing the sequel, was not present at the time of the accident as he was filming scenes in another location.
The Expendables 2 is due for release in the UK on 16 August, 2012.
At 07:45:17 in WalesUp to 491 acres of council-owned land has been approved for public use to allow a £280m racing circuit to go ahead in Blaenau Gwent.
At 07:34:31 in SportWales captain Ashley Williams says Swansea City are unlucky to be involved in a relegation battle this season.
At 07:34:28 in SportDirector of rugby Lyn Jones says Newport Gwent Dragons players' futures could be on the line against Ospreys in Sunday's Pro12 Welsh derby double-header at Millennium Stadium.
At 07:33:38 in EnglandA woman suffered serious burns when she was doused with what is believed to be high-strength cleaning fluid.
At 07:33:03 in WalesPolice have closed a main road in Carmarthenshire to round up about 60 horses loose on the carriageway.
At 07:32:25 in EnglandOne of Lincoln's main car parks that had major structural problems has fully reopened after more than a year of repairs.
At 07:23:25 in HeadlinesThe Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have vowed to return to one of Australia's most visited beauty spots.
At 07:12:31 in WalesSir Tom Jones, Sian Phillips and Michael Sheen are named in an all-star cast for a new BBC Wales TV adaptation of Dylan Thomas's play Under Milk Wood.
At 07:05:58 in WalesWelsh councils made a profit of almost £9m on car parking last year, according to new research.
At 07:01:22 in SportLewis Hamilton says he is hoping to develop an "edge" over Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg in the early stages of their battle this season.
Harvard CitationBBC News, 2012. Parents sue over The Expendables 2 stuntman death [Online] (Updated 27th Jul 2012)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/1443124/Parents-sue-over-The-Expendables-2-stuntman-death [Accessed 17th Apr 2014]
News In Other Categories
Up to 491 acres of council-owned land has been approved for public use to allow a £280m racing circuit to go ahead in Blaenau Gwent.
With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
China's internet giant Tencent will launch the popular Candy Crush game on the mainland in apartnership with the game's creator.
A failed rural heritage centre which cost over £3.4m in public funds should have been more closely monitored, a Wales Audit Office report has said.
Sir Tom Jones, Sian Phillips and Michael Sheen are named in an all-star cast for a new BBC Wales TV adaptation of Dylan Thomas's play Under Milk Wood.
Wales captain Ashley Williams says Swansea City are unlucky to be involved in a relegation battle this season.