16/Apr/2014 - Last News Update: 04:44

Glasgow and Manchester police take on extra Olympic security roles

Category: England

Published: 20th Jul 2012 19:35:23

Police in Glasgow and Manchester are to take on extra security roles at Olympic football venues owing to gaps left by private contractor G4S.

Strathclyde Police chief Stephen House has said the force will now run security for matches at Hampden Park.

And Greater Manchester Police will fill gaps in security for fixtures played at Old Trafford.

That deployment comes after only nine G4S recruits out of up to 140 attended a Manchester training session.

G4S would have been responsible for day-to-day security at both stadiums as well as training venues used by teams playing there.

Hampden Park and Old Trafford are two of the six venues being used around the UK for the Olympics men's and women's football tournaments.

Meanwhile, shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper is to write to Home Secretary Theresa May to demand "full disclosure" about events leading up to the G4S staff shortage.

Strathclyde Police's decision comes after the force said on Monday that extra officers were being drafted in because G4S confirmed it was not able to meet its commitments at Hampden Park and training venues in Scotland.

In a statement, Strathclyde Police said: "Following recent developments surrounding security arrangements for the Olympic 2012 events in Glasgow, Chief Constable Stephen House has decided Strathclyde Police will assume primary responsibility for security at Olympic venues."

Parliament will need to scrutinise in detail why things went so badly wrong”

The force said they did not envisage troops would be needed to bolster security - as in London, where 3,500 have been deployed so far.

A Scottish government spokesman said police informed ministers that they "no longer had confidence in the ability of G4S to provide proper security arrangements" for the matches or at hotels used by Games competitors and officials.

"They have therefore assumed primary responsibility for all aspects of Games security north of the border," the spokesman said, adding that the government welcomed the "decisive action".

Greater Manchester Police confirmed they had been asked to provide officers to fill gaps in security at Old Trafford for the Olympic men's football group matches.

Assistant Chief Constable Terry Sweeney said the move would ensure a "significant police presence" at the stadium from Sunday.

"There will be a minimal impact on policing the local communities that we serve on a daily basis," he said.

In other Olympics news:

On Thursday the home secretary said she was told of a "possible temporary shortfall" in G4S security guards for the Olympics on 27 June, not on 11 July, as she previously told Parliament.

In Ms Cooper's letter to Ms May, Ms Cooper says that with a week to go until the Games begin reassurance is needed.

The letter goes on: "Once the House of Commons returns in September, however, we will need full disclosure about the events leading up to the G4S problems, and Parliament will need to scrutinise in detail why things went so badly wrong.

"We will also need to know why you gave such an incomplete and selective account to Parliament, which gave people the wrong impression about what happened, and why you waited until after Parliament had risen to admit that the Home Office had in fact known about G4S problems two weeks earlier than you had said."

In the letter Mr Cooper urges full disclosure of the meetings and discussions that took place around G4S in the run up to the Olympics.

Source:
BBC News External Link Show Citation

Latest News

Harvard Citation

BBC News, 2012. Glasgow and Manchester police take on extra Olympic security roles [Online] (Updated 20th Jul 2012)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/1441780/Glasgow-and-Manchester-police-take-on-extra-Olympic-security-roles [Accessed 16th Apr 2014]

News In Other Categories

  • Scottish independence: Carmichael promises more power for isles

    Scottish Secretary Alistair Carmichael has promised to deliver greater powers for the Northern and Western Isles.
  • Primary school places allocated as pupil numbers rise

    Parents will find out whether they have got their preferred primary school place, as for the first time a National Offer Day allocates places across England on the same day.
  • BBC Two's 50th anniversary: Disastrous launch remembered

    Fifty years ago this weekend, BBC Two went on the air for the first time. Or rather, it was supposed to go on the air. In fact, a massive power cut wiped out the entire launch schedule and led to one of the most disastrous nights in broadcasting history.
  • Scottish independence: Aberdeen City Council vote letters 'did not break rules'

    Claims that Aberdeen City Council's administration broke the rules by including a pro-Better Together letter to council tax payers have been thrown out by an independent watchdog.
  • Two injured in collisions in Morriston and Maesteg

    Police have appealed for witnesses after two people were seriously injured in vehicle collisions.
  • Bristol Academy extends reach overseas with first foreign students

    With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com