01/Aug/2014 - Last News Update: 05:47

London 2012: May defends Games security plans

Category: England

Published: 16th Jul 2012 15:51:46

Allegations ministers knew of a shortfall in Olympic security in 2011 are "untrue", Theresa May has told MPs.

Addressing the Commons, the Home Security said it was only discovered on Wednesday - 16 days before the Games begin - that contractor G4S did not have enough trained security staff.

Labour earlier said ministers should have known what was going on.

It comes after the news 3,500 extra servicemen would be needed for security duties.

It also emerged on Monday that police had to deploy extra officers from nine UK forces to do Olympic security work.

Yvette Cooper MP, the shadow home secretary, was granted the right to table an urgent question on "security arrangements for the Olympic Games in light of the inability of G4S to deliver its contract".

Meanwhile, athletes and officials are arriving at the Olympic Village, with Heathrow Airport experiencing its busiest day on record, and the first priority "Games Lane" in operation.

Last week, the government said it was deploying 3,500 extra troops to cover the shortfall, after private security firm G4S failed to recruit enough guards for the Games.

G4S was contracted by the London 2012 Organising Committee to supply 10,400 staff out of the 23,700 security staff needed for the Games.

In her statement to MPs, Mrs May said: "G4S repeatedly assured us they would overshoot their targets."

Prime Minister David Cameron earlier said the government had been monitoring potential Olympic problems since it took power.

On Monday, Greater Manchester Police Authority revealed the force had to deploy front-line officers to provide security at an Olympic team hotel in Salford - after only 17 of an expected 56 G4S staff turned up for work.

"At no point was there a failure to provide security for the athletes," said Assistant Chief Constable Terry Sweeney.

"Extra policing resources have had to be called in but there has been a minimal impact on policing the local communities that we serve on a daily basis."

G4S said the situation was "being rectified over the coming days, which should lead to the withdrawal of police from those roles assigned to private security".

The prime ministers' official spokesman refused to be drawn on when David Cameron was aware of G4S's Olympic recruitment failings, but said he was involved in the decision to deploy extra soldiers.

On the issue of the cost of the unscheduled call-up to the armed forces, the prime minister's spokesman said: "We are very keen to make sure absolutely no one loses out.

"G4S have been clear they will meet the costs."

Home Secretary Theresa May told the Commons last week that there were penalties written into the G4S contract but did not give details.

Shares in G4S have fallen 9% after the firm said it faced a potential £50m loss on the contract for the Games.

Responding to Monday's shortfall in staff, a statement by G4S said security was being tightened at venues before "the full complement of accredited staff have been assigned".

It said: "Some venues are being supported by police in the short term, while the private security workforce is being mobilised.

"This situation is being rectified over the coming days, which should lead to the withdrawal of police from those roles assigned to private security."

The chairman of Greater Manchester Police Federation, Ian Hanson, said the situation had become "an absolute debacle".

"Those who presided on what is rapidly becoming a national disgrace should hang their heads in shame."

He added: "They've failed - they need to acknowledge that they've failed, and it's the police officers and the soldiers... who are putting the wheel back on."

Late on Friday, G4S said it faced a £35m-£50m loss on the £284m contract after failing to recruit enough security guards for the Olympics.

There is now speculation that G4S chief executive Nick Buckles could lose his job after chairman John Connolly hinted that senior heads could roll.

Mr Buckles, who has already waived his bonus, is due to appear before the Commons Home Affairs Select Committee on Tuesday.

Over the weekend he admitted he was "bitterly disappointed" at his company's failure to meet the terms of the contract.

Stockbroker Seymour Pierce has removed its "buy" rating on the company and reduced its profits forecast by £60m. Other brokers have also downgraded the company.

Analysts are worried about the damage the scandal could do to the company's reputation.

"While the likely outcome of the Olympic contract is no doubt disappointing, our biggest concern is the impact it could have on other outsourcing contracts with the UK government, which is a sizeable (more than 20%) and growing part of its bid pipeline," said broker Panmure in a research note.

Will you be working with G4S on Olympic security? Did you apply for a job with G4S? Please send us your comments and experiences using the form below.

If you are happy to be contacted by a BBC journalist please leave a telephone number that we can contact you on. In some cases a selection of your comments will be published, displaying your name as you provide it and location, unless you state otherwise. Your contact details will never be published. When sending us pictures, video or eyewitness accounts at no time should you endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or infringe any laws. Please ensure you have read the terms and conditions.

Terms and conditions

Source:
BBC News External Link Show Citation

Latest News

Harvard Citation

BBC News, 2012. London 2012: May defends Games security plans [Online] (Updated 16th Jul 2012)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/1440759/London-2012-May-defends-Games-security-plans [Accessed 1st Aug 2014]

News In Other Categories

  • Artist Mark Andrew Webber's vast graphic map of Berlin

    When artist Mark Andrew Webber spent months walking the streets of Berlin, he wasn't sightseeing - he was sign seeing.
  • Ten coastal towns get £8.5m for projects

    Ten coastal towns have been given £8.5m in government cash to help create nearly 1,400 jobs and repair storm-damaged areas.
  • Bristol Academy extends reach overseas with first foreign students

    With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
  • 'See-through' bodies technique developed

    A way to turn an entire body transparent has been developed by scientists studying rodents.
  • China manufacturing growth speeds up

    China's factory activity grew at its fastest pace in more than two years in July, indicating that the country's economy may be stabilising.
  • Scotland's constitutional crisis 300 years ago

    The last Stuart monarch, Queen Anne, died 300 years ago on August 1, 1714. Her death at the age of 49 re-ignited the controversy surrounding the Act of Union which had abolished the independent Scottish Parliament and led to the Jacobite uprising of 1715.