Chip pans cause 10% of house fires
Published: 15th Jul 2012 10:19:44
One in 10 house fires in Scotland is started by unattended chip or hot food pans, according to figures collected by the Scottish Conservatives.
In 2011, 10.4% of fires were caused by chip pans, compared with 9.6% in the previous two years.
The Conservatives said the figures were cause for concern and have called for an awareness campaign.
A Scottish government spokesman said the levels had reduced by more than two-thirds in the past 10 years.
The figures, collected from Scotland's eight fire services, varied from region to region, with Lothian and Borders recording the highest level, with 22.7% of fires caused by chip pans in 2011.
The Conservative's local government spokeswoman Margaret Mitchell said: "The number of fires in Scotland caused by chip pans has risen this year and that must be a cause for concern.
The most important message we can give is not to be complacent and always be on your guard”
"There used to be awareness campaigns warning the public about the risks of leaving hot food pans unattended.
"There has been speculation that an increase in house fires has been caused by the smoking ban and rising prices in pubs, leading to more people drinking at home."
She said fire services were under enough pressure without having to deal with such a "high volume of unnecessary calls".
"So many fires are avoidable, but that is particularly true of hot food pan fires, so the idea of a campaign needs to be revisited," she said.
"These statistics show thousands of cases where carelessness is not only putting extra strain on fire crews, but placing lives across Scotland in danger."
A Scottish government spokesman said figures had reduced by more than two-thirds since 2001/02 which indicated "improving awareness of the danger of fire in our homes".
"However, every house fire is one too many and that is why the Scottish government and fire services continue to work hard educating people about fire prevention measures they can take," he added.
"The most important message we can give is not to be complacent and always be on your guard.
"We also urge you to get a smoke alarm and check it regularly to ensure it is in working order - alarms really do save lives."
He said that home fire safety visits could be arranged via the Don't Give Fire A Home website.
At 19:39:42 in England
At 19:38:42 in Sport
At 19:32:11 in EnglandHeathrow Airport is gearing towards the opening of its new Terminal 2 by unveiling Europe's largest privately funded sculpture.
At 19:27:52 in EnglandThe death of a 10-year-old boy who was hit by a car as he crossed the road outside his house was accidental, an inquest has heard.
At 19:13:07 in Politics
At 19:12:17 in EnglandPoppies have been planted as part of a social media campaign to mark the First World War in Jersey.
At 19:11:22 in WalesGriff Rhys Jones has withdrawn from becoming Cardiff University's new chancellor just two weeks after an embarrassing debacle which saw his appointment halted at the last minute.
At 19:04:14 in EnglandA theatre company is hoping to have set a new world record by performing an abridged version of Shakespeare's works at more than 37,000ft (11,278m).
At 18:56:33 in WorldThe Iron Curtain fell 25 years ago, but it seems that nobody told the deer.
At 18:54:46 in EnglandA council is expanding the size of graves to accommodate obese people - and could charge extra for larger people to be buried in them.
Harvard CitationBBC News, 2012. Chip pans cause 10% of house fires [Online] (Updated 15th Jul 2012)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/1440604/Chip-pans-cause-10-of-house-fires [Accessed 23rd Apr 2014]
News In Other Categories
The cost of drugs is in the headlines following the decision by NHS watchdog NICE that a new cancer treatment should not be funded.
Mexican writer and journalist Elena Poniatowska has received the most important award for literature in the Spanish language, the Cervantes prize.
A home security company is creating 230 jobs by expanding its operations in the Republic of Ireland.
Tesco's internet service has been hit by two separate problems that coincided, leaving some of its customers irate.