29/Jul/2014 - Last News Update: 21:02

Kylie and Jason Hit Factory reunion gig cancelled

Category: England

Published: 10th Jul 2012 15:01:57

A special concert that would have seen Jason Donovan and Kylie Minogue reunite on stage for the first time in more than 20 years has been cancelled.

Pete Waterman said the gig at London's Hyde Park on Wednesday had been called off due to recent bad weather.

He told the BBC the grounds had now become "unsafe" following rain at the Wireless festival over the weekend.

Organisers said ticket purchases made through Ticketmaster and See Tickets will be automatically refunded.

Fans who bought tickets elsewhere were advised to contact the vendor.

The outdoor concert was to reunite artists who found fame on the PWL record label, which is marking its 25th anniversary.

Waterman said he was "devastated for everyone" involved.

"People have come from all over the world to make this happen," he said. "We're trying to work out what we can do."

"Police, parks and safety people have said it's completely unsafe at the moment.

"We saw the damage caused by the Wireless festival at the weekend, but we can't get lorries on to the site to dump bark and mulch on the ground."

He added: "What can I say? We've had exceptional weather. If it's not safe, it's not safe and you can't control that."

Kylie Minogue, who yesterday posted a picture of her rehearsals with Jason Donovan, expressed her disappointment in a statement on her website:

"I am so sorry to hear that the concert tomorrow had to be cancelled," she said.

"I feel for all the fans who had bought tickets to this special event. Jason and I were rehearsed and excited to share this moment with everyone."

Acts including Steps, Sinitta, Sonia, Rick Astley, Bananarama, Pepsi and Shirlie and Brother Beyond had also been due to perform at the concert.

On his Twitter account Donovan said they were all "extremely disappointed" and that they had not taken the decision lightly.

He added: "Can't believe it... Was really looking forward to celebrating the wonderful work of Mike, Matt and Pete and all who made those songs so special to a generation!"

Waterman said he hoped the concert could be restaged at some point in the future, but added "it's not that easy" as Steps are due to go on tour and other acts have prior commitments.

In a statement, organisers said: "Following the severe and unprecedented weather conditions across the country the site was declared unfit this morning to host the concert.

"The decision was made following full consultation with all of the relevant authorities and the safety advisory group. The safety of our customers, performers and production crew is of utmost importance and the decision was made unanimously.

They added: "The potential risk to staff and music fans was too great for the event to go ahead. Live Nation and The Royal Parks sincerely regret the disappointment caused by this cancellation."

Did you have tickets for the concert? Send us your thoughts using the form below.

If you are happy to be contacted by a BBC journalist please leave a telephone number that we can contact you on. In some cases a selection of your comments will be published, displaying your name as you provide it and location, unless you state otherwise. Your contact details will never be published. When sending us pictures, video or eyewitness accounts at no time should you endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or infringe any laws. Please ensure you have read the terms and conditions.

Terms and conditions

Source:
BBC News External Link Show Citation

Latest News

Harvard Citation

BBC News, 2012. Kylie and Jason Hit Factory reunion gig cancelled [Online] (Updated 10th Jul 2012)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/1439722/Kylie-and-Jason-Hit-Factory-reunion-gig-cancelled [Accessed 29th Jul 2014]

News In Other Categories

  • Iraqi Kurdish oil tanker to be seized by US authorities

    A tanker carrying $100m (£59m) of Iraqi Kurdish oil is set to be seized by US marshals on Tuesday.
  • Bristol Academy extends reach overseas with first foreign students

    With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
  • 'Milestone' for child malaria vaccine

    Experts say the world's first malaria vaccine could be approved for use in 2015.
  • Government ends ban on steel-string guitars in prison cells

    A ban on steel-string guitars in prison cells in England and Wales has been reversed after a campaign by rock stars including Billy Bragg and Johnny Marr.
  • Chernobyl children still suffering

    For the past 20 years, families in Northern Ireland have given up part of their summer holidays to host children affected by the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster
  • Gaza action behind rise of anti-Semitism, claims peer

    A retired senior diplomat has suggested that "much anti-Semitism is a reaction to the appalling Israeli treatment of its Arab neighbours".