02/Sep/2014 - Last News Update: 12:03

Oldham explosion: Financial help for residents

Category: England

Published: 1st Jul 2012 05:06:04

A hardship fund for those affected by an explosion in Greater Manchester on Tuesday has been "overwhelmed" with donations, Oldham Council says.

Jamie Heaton, two, died and Andrew Partington, 27, suffered serious burns in the blast in Shaw, which destroyed their homes and damaged other houses.

The council said financial support for residents could be made available early next week.

Those facing severe hardship may be able to receive immediate help.

Some 175 houses were evacuated after the suspected gas blast in Buckley Street.

On Friday, nearly 40 homes in nearby Oak Street had been reoccupied, as well as the whole of Gordon Street.

A spokesman for the council said: "Oldham Council has been overwhelmed by public donations to support the people affected by this week's explosion in Shaw.

"From today we are accepting applications from affected residents for support from the Oldham Distress Fund.

"Staff are on hand at the advice centre on Farrow Street and will help affected residents to complete the application forms for monetary support."

The council has not given a total figure for the amount raised by the fund.

It said household items including furniture had also been donated by the public and would be made available to those who needed them.

Jamie died while watching TV at home but his mother survived after stepping out to hang out washing in the yard.

On Friday, Jamie's parents Michelle and Ken visited the scene of the blast to look at messages and flowers left in tribute to Jamie.

The couple described him as "a happy little boy, mischievous and full of life".

Mr Partington remains unconscious and sedated at Wythenshawe Hospital, where he is being treated for serious burns.

A local man, who inspected a boiler in the house where the explosion happened, was freed on police bail on Thursday following his arrest on suspicion of manslaughter.

Greater Manchester Police said the man was held in London but his arrest was "only one line of inquiry".

Source:
BBC News External Link Show Citation

Latest News

Harvard Citation

BBC News, 2012. Oldham explosion: Financial help for residents [Online] (Updated 1st Jul 2012)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/1437923/Oldham-explosion-Financial-help-for-residents [Accessed 2nd Sep 2014]

News In Other Categories

  • Richhill doctor Tony Chee in court on sex assault charges

    A County Armagh doctor has appeared in court charged with assaulting six of his female patients.
  • Afghan child wedding: Parents held over under-age ceremony

    Police in northern Afghanistan have arrested the parents of two children on charges of arranging their under-age marriage, officials say.
  • Aston Martin turns to Nissan for new chief executive

    Luxury carmaker Aston Martin has hired senior Nissan executive Andy Palmer as its new chief executive.
  • Bristol Academy extends reach overseas with first foreign students

    With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
  • Scottish independence: Referendum jobs campaign continues

    Both sides in the Scottish referendum debate are focusing on jobs, just a few weeks ahead of the vote on the nation's future.
  • Placido Domingo to close iTunes festival

    Opera star Placido Domingo is to close the iTunes festival in London at the end of this month.