National Theatre delays Count of Monte Cristo play
Published: 20th Jun 2012 11:57:25
The National Theatre has cancelled its Christmas production of The Count of Monte Cristo, saying the project needs "more development time".
Tickets had already been sold for the show, scheduled to run between November and January.
On its website, the London theatre said the show had been "put back" and that a replacement would be announced shortly.
Writer Richard Bean, of One Man, Two Guvnors fame, told the BBC he "just couldn't get the script to work".
"If anyone has ever read the book, I think they'll sympathise with me," said the playwright on his difficulty adapting Alexandre Dumas's 1,200-page novel.
"It's a difficult task and first time round I failed on it really. I'm not ashamed to say that."
Bean said he found the classic novel, first published in 1844, to be "all plot and action" and to have "very little characterisation".
After staying faithful to the book, he found his script "hadn't got the right balance for the stage".
"The audience has to sit and watch these people and kind of get under their skins a bit," Bean went on. "At the moment I haven't managed to achieve that."
Bean's previous work for the National, the hugely successful One Man, Two Guvnors, opened on the South Bank in May 2011.
British star James Corden recently picked up a Tony award for his performance in the play's New York production.
Speaking in March, Bean told the BBC he had finished the first act of The Count of Monte Cristo - a project he described as a "completely different cheese".
The production was halted after he handed in the completed first draft last week.
"The creative team down there realised that going straight into rehearsals with a script that's kind of not working is a bit too much of a risk for such a big show," Bean continued.
Ticketholders have been told the National hopes to continue with the project, though according to its writer it is not yet known what will happen next.
"I don't think it will be straight away," said Bean. "We need a bit more time and a bit more work."
At 04:01:55 in BusinessHousing experts have called for minimum standards to be better enforced in the private rental market to stop landlords exploiting vulnerable tenants.
At 03:40:04 in HeadlinesLeaders of the EU's 28 states are heading to Brussels for a special Saturday summit to decide who will fill two of Europe's top jobs.
At 03:05:09 in HeadlinesA fear of being viewed as racist has been cited as one of the reasons why child sexual exploitation in Rotherham was allowed to proliferate for 16 years. But how much of a factor is this fear in the day-to-day work of social workers and others working to prevent abuse?
At 02:55:03 in WorldThe corruption case of former Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell and his wife has gone to a jury after a 25-day trial.
At 02:38:45 in HeadlinesSome 230 members of an Orthodox Jewish group have begun leaving a village in western Guatemala after a bitter row with the local indigenous community.
At 02:18:39 in EntertainmentCheer/groan (delete according to mindset): The X Factor is back. Author Jeremy Clay tells the story of the show's Victorian forebear, where the hopefuls had to sing while carrying a pig.
At 02:00:22 in WorldMacedonia has embarked on a major revamp of its capital city, Skopje. But the changes have been controversial with some calling the makeover a "crime".
At 01:55:49 in HeadlinesItalian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi has announced a series of measures designed to overhaul the country's notoriously slow justice system.
At 01:32:04 in HeadlinesA US judge has struck down part of a Texas abortion law that would have closed more than a dozen clinics.
At 00:56:34 in ScotlandA charity campaigner has called for better information on the number of Scottish children with a disability.
Harvard CitationBBC News, 2012. National Theatre delays Count of Monte Cristo play [Online] (Updated 20th Jun 2012)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/1435786/National-Theatre-delays-Count-of-Monte-Cristo-play [Accessed 30th Aug 2014]
News In Other Categories
With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
Mirjana Lucic-Baroni described her US Open victory over world number two Simona Halep as "the best day of my life", and with good reason.
George Galloway has been left badly bruised after he was attacked on a street in London, his spokesman has said.
A charity campaigner has called for better information on the number of Scottish children with a disability.
A 23-year-old man has died in hospital after he was involved in a car crash in Enniskillen in the early hours of Saturday morning.
The condition of a Swansea ambulance station has been criticised by a patient watchdog after an inspection.