24/Apr/2014 - Last News Update: 19:01

Rochdale: Child safety 'not guaranteed' in care homes

Category: England

Published: 31st May 2012 05:27:59

The leader of Rochdale Council says children should no longer be sent to care homes in the borough because their safety "is not being guaranteed".

There are 41 children's homes in Rochdale, which house vulnerable children from all over England.

Colin Lambert says the council has no say in what happens to children in homes who come from outside Rochdale.

Nine men were recently convicted of abusing young girls in Rochdale, one of whom lived in a care home.

Speaking to BBC Radio 4's The Report, Rochdale Council leader Colin Lambert says he has been worried about the safety of young people in care for some time:

"When you have got as many homes in an authority the size of Rochdale you are grouping together, in a small population, a large number of children who are vulnerable and that is an issue."

Most of Rochdale's 41 children's homes are privately run, and the borough has considerably more homes than other areas of England with comparable populations - the London Borough of Haringey has 9 homes, while Solihull in the West Midlands has just two.

The government says children in care should live within their local authority wherever possible.

It is a scar and a disgrace on this country's record of caring for vulnerable children”

Currently, of around 60 young people living in Rochdale's homes, only one child is originally from the borough.

It is good practice for local authorities to inform social services in another region that they are sending a child to live in a home in the area, but the responsibility for the child's care remains with the home authority. This is a source of frustration for Mr Lambert:

"Unless the child is from the Borough of Rochdale we have no say in whether the child should be here, whether the home is providing what it should [and] we get no reports back on how the child is progressing."

"It is a scar and a disgrace on this country's record of caring for vulnerable children."

Earlier this month nine men from Rochdale were convicted of running a child grooming ring.

Rochdale council leader Colin Lambert says for the time being "you have got to question more vulnerable children being brought into this borough… what we are seeing is a loophole and the safety of children is not being guaranteed."

Hear more on this story on BBC Radio 4's The Report on Thursday, 31 May at 20:00 BST

The north-west of England has the highest concentration of children's homes in the country.

With a quarter of all children's homes in England, the region is a net importer of young people into private residential homes.

Peter Steen, a councillor for Lancashire County Council told The Report this was down to cost:

"The property prices are lower than other parts of the country. Large houses can be picked up reasonably cheaply and converted, all they require is a licence from Ofsted."

Last year Mr Steen chaired an inquiry into Lancashire's 101 children's homes - the highest number of any authority in England.

It found the council and the police had little knowledge of some of the private children's homes in the area. It also estimated 21,000 children - a third of those in care in England - were being cared for in areas outside their home local authority.

There are things we should have done differently in the past but the issue wasn't well understood nationally, not just in Rochdale”

Mr Steen says placing vulnerable girls, who are susceptible to grooming, so far away from home, can lead to them slipping through the cracks:

"They can become invisible... no one knows, so they cannot be monitored or helped."

The BBC has also uncovered details of a previously unreported case of grooming for sexual exploitation which Rochdale Council tried to keep secret. It involved a 14-year-old girl who suffered two years of abuse while in the care of the borough.

The social worker assigned to monitor the girl was a trainee and Rochdale Council failed to respond quickly to the girl's claims of escalating abuse.

Eventually, in 2006, the official solicitor representing the government intervened to force the council to step in and take full responsibility. Rochdale Council tried to keep its name from being made public but the judge rejected the request.

Cheryl Eastwood, the director of children's services at Rochdale Council, says there have been significant improvements but admits to mistakes:

"There are things we should have done differently in the past but the issue wasn't well understood nationally, not just in Rochdale."

Hear more on this story on The Report on Thursday 31, May at 20:00 BST.

You can listen again via the Radio 4 website or by downloading The Report podcast.

Source:
BBC News External Link Show Citation

Latest News

Harvard Citation

BBC News, 2012. Rochdale: Child safety 'not guaranteed' in care homes [Online] (Updated 31st May 2012)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/1431952/Rochdale-Child-safety-not-guaranteed-in-care-homes [Accessed 24th Apr 2014]

News In Other Categories

  • France mulls car-sharing GPS app ban

    Private car hire services in France face a ban on the GPS-enabled apps that allow people to find available drivers.
  • E-cigarette age restriction push by US regulators

    The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) wants minimum age restrictions and health warnings on e-cigarettes.
  • European election candidates in Northern Ireland revealed

    Ten candidates will be vying for three European parliament seats in Northern Ireland, it has been confirmed.
  • Bristol Academy extends reach overseas with first foreign students

    With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
  • Colwyn Bay school rape 'never happened' court told

    A boy accused of raping a fellow pupil at a north Wales primary school has told a jury the alleged attack never happened.
  • Peter Jackson changes third Hobbit film title

    Director Peter Jackson has changed the title of the final film in his Hobbit trilogy from There and Back Again to The Battle of the Five Armies.