28/Aug/2014 - Last News Update: 09:01

Halt Italian football for 2-3 years, says PM Monti

Category: Business

Published: 29th May 2012 16:55:18

Professional football in Italy should be suspended for up to three years after a match-fixing row, Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti has suggested.

He said that the scandal had caused "profound sadness" across the country.

Mr Monti was speaking a day after a number of people - including Lazio's captain Stefano Mauri - were arrested.

Police are searching more than 30 homes, including those of players, trainers and administrators of clubs in Serie A, Serie B and lower divisions.

Juventus coach Antonio Conte, who just led the club to the Serie A title in his first season in charge, is among those being questioned by police.

Officers also visited Italy's pre-Euro 2012 training camp to question left-back Domenico Criscito.

The Italian football federation later announced that Criscito, who is now at Zenit St Petersburg in Russia, would not be selected for Euro 2012 in Poland and Ukraine "in order to clear his name".

Five people were also arrested in Hungary on suspicion of being part of an illegal international betting ring.

"I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to suspend the game for two or three years," Mr Monti said on Tuesday.

"It's particularly sad when a world which should be an expression of the highest values - sport, youth, competition, fairness turns out to be a mass of foul play, falsehood and demagoguery."

However, Mr Monti acknowledged that his suggestion was not "a proposal by the government but a question I am asking".

Monday's arrests were part of a wider investigation which has already seen a number of arrests of current and former Italian players.

In June last year, the interior ministry set up a special match-fixing task force in response to a number of high-profile cases.

Former Atalanta captain and Italy midfielder Cristiano Doni was banned for three-and-a-half years in August for his part in the "Calcioscommesse" scandal involving Serie B matches last season. He was also arrested in December 2011 over match-fixing and betting allegations.

Atalanta, promoted from Serie B, were deducted six points in the top flight this season as a result of the scandal.

Former Lazio and Italy striker Giuseppe Signori was banned for five years, and 15 other players were banned for between one and five years for their involvement.

Source:
BBC News External Link Show Citation

Latest News

Harvard Citation

BBC News, 2012. Halt Italian football for 2-3 years, says PM Monti [Online] (Updated 29th May 2012)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/1431655/Halt-Italian-football-for-2-3-years-says-PM-Monti [Accessed 28th Aug 2014]

News In Other Categories

  • Michael Keaton takes flight in Birdman at Venice

    Michael Keaton says playing superhero Batman has had "a profound effect" on his life as his latest movie, Birdman, opens this year's Venice Film Festival.
  • Gary Hart: Former US Senator to meet Northern Ireland parties

    Former US Senator Gary Hart will meet representatives of the Stormont Executive parties later as part of a fact-finding trip to Ireland.
  • Bristol Academy extends reach overseas with first foreign students

    With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
  • Gary Hart: Former US Senator to meet Northern Ireland parties

    Former US Senator Gary Hart will meet representatives of the Stormont Executive parties later as part of a fact-finding trip to Ireland.
  • White space between TV signals could save lives at sea

    The leftover white space between TV signals is raising the hope of saving lives at sea and proving broadband for remote communities.
  • Easyjet plane in emergency landing at Gatwick Airport

    An Easyjet plane carrying 157 passengers has made an emergency landing at Gatwick Airport after smoke was detected in the cockpit.