01/Aug/2014 - Last News Update: 12:05

Egypt presidential candidate Ahmed Shafiq's HQ attacked

Category: Headlines

Published: 28th May 2012 23:26:30

The campaign headquarters of Egyptian presidential candidate Ahmed Shafiq has been attacked by protesters.

Egyptian TV stations broadcast footage of a fire at the building, in the Dokki district of the capital Cairo.

There are currently no reports of injuries, and the fire was quickly put out with no signs of serious damage.

The attack comes amid protests against election results hours after it was announced that Mr Shafiq would compete in a run-off next month.

The attackers also took a number of campaign posters and allegedly took a number of computers from the building, the BBC's Jon Leyne reports from Mr Shafiq's HQ in Cairo.

Anti-Shafiq protesters then dispersed and a number of Mr Shafiq's supporters then arrived at the scene, our correspondent adds.

Crowds were also heading to the city's central Tahrir Square, scene of the protests which forced the resignation of President Hosni Mubarak in February 2011 and frequent demonstrations ever since.

It is after midnight and a few young Egyptians are still arriving - taking the familiar route across Qasr al-Nil bridge in the darkness.

They say the presidential election result gave them no choice.

"We aren't at all satisfied with Ahmed Shafiq, who was the prime minister of Mubarak in our revolution. We'll never accept such a guy," said Mustafa Shawat. "The other candidate is the Muslim Brotherhood and we don't agree at all to be in their hands. We want our freedom."

Some protesters have set up a new camp in the middle of this busy roundabout. Yet it remains to be seen how many will stay the night. A shout of "thugs" caused a few moments of panic and a surge of people turned away from the Interior Ministry. With tensions so high there are fears of renewed clashes.

Several hundred people, perhaps as many as a thousand have gathered in the roundabout at the centre of the square, protesting against the official election results, the BBC's Yolande Knell reports from the square.

A steady stream of protesters is continuing to head to the square despite the late hour, our correspondent adds.

Earlier on Monday, Egypt's election commission confirmed that the Muslim Brotherhood's Mohammed Morsi and Mr Shafiq will contest a presidential run-off in June.

Mr Morsi gained 24.3% of the vote in the first round of the poll held last week while Mr Shafiq won 23.3%.

However, there is real anger at the results among many activists, our correspondent says.

Many are saying that they are prepared to stay in the square and that this is the "last chance" too save Egypt's revolution.

Mr Shafiq was the last prime minister to serve under Mr Mubarak and is viewed by many as a representative of the old regime.

Are you in Cairo? Are you in Tahrir Square? Did you see the attack? Are you taking part in the protests? Send us your comments and experiences.

Send your pictures and videos to yourpics@bbc.co.uk or text them to 61124 (UK) or +44 7624 800 100 (International). If you have a large file you can upload here.

Read the terms and conditions

If you are happy to be contacted by a BBC journalist please leave a telephone number that we can contact you on. In some cases a selection of your comments will be published, displaying your name as you provide it and location, unless you state otherwise. Your contact details will never be published. When sending us pictures, video or eyewitness accounts at no time should you endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or infringe any laws. Please ensure you have read the terms and conditions.

Terms and conditions

Source:
BBC News External Link Show Citation

Latest News

Harvard Citation

BBC News, 2012. Egypt presidential candidate Ahmed Shafiq's HQ attacked [Online] (Updated 28th May 2012)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/1431421/Egypt-presidential-candidate-Ahmed-Shafiqs-HQ-attacked [Accessed 1st Aug 2014]

News In Other Categories

  • Godfrey Poku: AFC Telford sign former Mansfield Town midfielder

    AFC Telford have signed midfielder Godfrey Poku on a one-year contract.
  • Bristol Academy extends reach overseas with first foreign students

    With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
  • 'N' plates for newly-qualified drivers in Ireland

    Newly-qualified drivers in the Republic of Ireland will have to display a Novice Plate on their car from Friday.
  • Microsoft ordered to hand over emails on Dublin server

    Microsoft's latest attempt to resist a US government warrant demanding access to emails stored on servers in Ireland has been dismissed by a federal judge.
  • M5 crash firefighters given bravery medals by fire service

    The bravery of 12 firefighters who battled a crash on the M5 in Somerset in which seven people when 34 vehicles collided, has been honoured.
  • Uganda court annuls anti-homosexuality law

    Uganda's Constitutional Court has annulled tough anti-gay legislation signed into law by President Yoweri Museveni in February.