Syria Houla massacre: Survivors recount horror
Published: 28th May 2012 22:35:22
Survivors of the massacre in Syria's Houla region have told the BBC of their shock and fear as regime forces entered their homes and killed their families.
Several witnesses said they hid or played dead to survive.
Most claimed that the army and the feared shabiha militia carried out the atrocities, though the regime insisted "armed terrorists" were to blame.
UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan has arrived in Damascus for talks on implementing his peace plan.
Russia, which has twice blocked UN Security Council resolutions backing action against President Bashar al-Assad's regime, said on Monday that both sides bore responsibility for Friday's massacre.
Survivors who spoke to the BBC, and the local commander of the Free Syrian Army, said the people who carried out the killings were militiamen - shabbiha - from nearby Alawite villages.
We can't confirm their accounts, but they are consistent with one another, and also with the reports given by activist groups on the ground in the immediate aftermath of the massacres.
But Syrian leaders will be giving Kofi Annan a different account in his talks in Damascus. They still insist that what they admit was a massacre was the work of hundreds of armed rebels who massed in the area, and carried out the killings in order to derail the peace process and provoke intervention by Nato.
Mr Annan will be trying to persuade President Assad to take "bold steps" to prove he's serious about that peace process, which is now in tatters.
UN observers who visited the Taldou village where the massacre happened said they had found evidence of shelling from government forces.
They also confirmed that some of the 108 victims - many of whom were children - had been killed by close-range gunfire or knife attacks.
Most witnesses who spoke to the BBC said they believed that the army and shabiha militiamen were responsible.
"We were in the house, they went in, the shabiha and security, they went in with Kalashnikovs and automatic rifles," said survivor Rasha Abdul Razaq.
"They took us to a room and hit my father on the head with the back of a rifle and shot him straight in the chin."
Of 20 family members and friends in the house at the time, she said only four had survived.
Another resident, who asked to remain anonymous, said he hid in the attic as gunmen took his family outside and shot them.
"I opened the door, and I saw bodies, I couldn't recognise my kids from my brothers. It was indescribable. I have three children, I lost three children," he said.
Other witnesses told how they were now terrified in case the regime forces came back to the area.
Their accounts have not been independently verified, but the BBC's Jim Muir in neighbouring Lebanon says the stories tally with each other, and with reports from activists on the ground.
Western leaders have expressed horror at the killings, and the UK, France and US have all begun moves to raise diplomatic pressure on the Assad government.
British Foreign Secretary William Hague has flown to Moscow to try to get Russia's backing for harsher measures against the regime.
France is convening another meeting of the so-called Friends of Syria group, which Russia does not take part in.
"The murderous folly of the Damascus regime represents a threat for regional security and its leaders will have to answer for their acts," said President Francois Hollande's office.
Mr Annan arrived in Damascus on Monday and will hold talks with Mr Assad on Tuesday.
He said it was a critical moment, and that he would be having "serious and frank" discussions with Mr Assad, trying to persuade him to take "bold steps" to prove he was serious about peace.
Under Mr Annan's plan, both sides were to stop fighting on 12 April ahead of the deployment of monitors and the government was to withdraw tanks and forces from civilian areas.
But the violence has continued, and on Monday activists reported clashes and deaths in at least seven different parts of the country.
At least 10,000 people have died since protests against the Assad regime broke out in March 2011.
At 19:44:20 in EnglandThe lawyer for former N-Dubz singer and X Factor judge Tulisa Contostavlos has asked magistrates for an assault charge against her to be dropped.
At 19:43:34 in PoliticsThe UK Independence Party has suspended a council candidate featured in its latest election broadcast for sharing "repellent" opinions on Twitter.
At 19:30:52 in EnglandTwo men have been jailed for abusing young boys over three decades at two North East residential schools.
At 19:25:46 in WalesA new maternity unit has opened at Bronglais Hospital in Aberystwyth as part of changes to neonatal services.
At 19:21:42 in HeadlinesAn exceptionally bright supernova that baffled scientists has been explained.
At 19:21:07 in SportDavid Pipe has left Newport County after coming to an agreement to end his contract with the League Two club.
At 19:01:51 in BusinessBankers' bonuses are not what they were.
At 19:01:04 in ScotlandPolice are appealing for witnesses after new information came to light over a sexual assault in Polmont.
At 18:57:24 in HeadlinesKenyan MPs are debating a proposal to make it a criminal offence to address an official incorrectly at a state function.
At 18:56:18 in SportChelsea midfielder Ramires will miss the rest of the Premier League season after he accepted a charge of violent conduct.
Harvard CitationBBC News, 2012. Syria Houla massacre: Survivors recount horror [Online] (Updated 28th May 2012)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/1431420/Syria-Houla-massacre-Survivors-recount-horror [Accessed 24th Apr 2014]
News In Other Categories
The UK Independence Party has suspended a council candidate featured in its latest election broadcast for sharing "repellent" opinions on Twitter.
A new maternity unit has opened at Bronglais Hospital in Aberystwyth as part of changes to neonatal services.
Director Peter Jackson has changed the title of the final film in his Hobbit trilogy from There and Back Again to The Battle of the Five Armies.
Police are appealing for witnesses after new information came to light over a sexual assault in Polmont.
With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
Skin grown in the laboratory can replace animals in drug and cosmetics testing, UK scientists say.