Leveson Inquiry: Hunt's ex-aide faces more questions
Published: 25th May 2012 04:06:16
Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt's former special adviser Adam Smith will face a second day of questioning later at the Leveson Inquiry into media ethics.
During his evidence on Thursday it emerged Mr Hunt had sent a memo to the PM supporting News Corp's bid for BSkyB weeks before taking charge of the deal.
Mr Smith, who resigned last month after admitting his contact with News Corp had got too close, also got the memo.
The culture department's most senior civil servant will also be questioned.
Permanent Secretary Jonathan Stephens is expected to be asked whether he gave permission for Mr Smith to be the point of contact with News Corp during the takeover bid process.
He refused to confirm or deny this during an appearance before the Commons Public Accounts Committee, and later said in a letter he was simply "aware and content" with the arrangement.
Mr Stephens will also be asked whether he was aware that so much information was flowing from Mr Hunt's office to News Corp's lobbyist Fred Michel.
This is ammunition for the culture secretary's critics who say his mind was made up to give the Murdochs what they wanted”
Labour is demanding to know why PM David Cameron handed the adjudication over Rupert Murdoch's BSkyB bid to Mr Hunt, whom he knew to favour the takeover.
It argues that Mr Hunt was not an "impartial arbiter" on the deal, and has renewed calls for him to resign.
But Downing Street has said the memo, written when Business Secretary Vince Cable was in charge of overseeing the bid, was "entirely consistent" with Mr Hunt's public view.
Mr Hunt's memo, written on 19 November 2010, stated that News Corp executive James Murdoch was "furious" about Mr Cable's handling of the matter.
He told Mr Cameron it would be "totally wrong to cave in" to opponents of the deal and said the UK had the chance to "lead the way" if the BSkyB bid went ahead.
The memo also said the UK's media sector "would suffer for years" if the deal was blocked.
It was sent to Mr Smith before it went to Mr Cameron.
Mr Hunt has refused to quit and is due to give his own account of events to Lord Justice Leveson's inquiry at the Royal Courts of Justice in London on 31 May.
News Corp unveiled its bid for BSkyB in June 2010 but abandoned it in July 2011 amid outrage over the phone-hacking scandal at its News of the World newspaper.
At 15:52:00 in Northern IrelandIt was a Belfast judge who first called the "Golden Circle" deal for what it was.
At 15:50:47 in SportWorld number three Mark Selby believes Sheffield will eventually lose the World Snooker Championship to China.
At 15:49:14 in WalesThe biggest bus operator in Wales has announced it will axe 14 services and reduce the frequency of eight others.
At 15:48:18 in EnglandA hi-tech balloon launched in Nottingham to take pictures of the Earth has been lost in Oxfordshire.
At 15:47:58 in SportTottenham's record signing Erik Lamela will miss the remaining games of this season because of a back injury, manager Tim Sherwood says.
At 15:47:28 in EnglandFireworks smoke was "not to blame" for a crash on the M5 which killed seven people, a coroner has ruled.
At 15:43:04 in SportOxford midfielder Josh Ruffels has signed a new contract which could keep him at the League Two club until 2018.
At 15:42:36 in Northern IrelandPolice have charged a 30-year-old woman with the murder of a baby in Belfast.
At 15:38:00 in ScotlandAn investigation has been launched after a man was killed in a flat fire in Edinburgh.
At 15:30:05 in ScotlandTwo men are facing life sentences for stabbing a man they blamed for the drugs death of a friend.
Harvard CitationBBC News, 2012. Leveson Inquiry: Hunt's ex-aide faces more questions [Online] (Updated 25th May 2012)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/1430840/Leveson-Inquiry-Hunts-ex-aide-faces-more-questions [Accessed 17th Apr 2014]
News In Other Categories
It was a Belfast judge who first called the "Golden Circle" deal for what it was.
With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
The biggest bus operator in Wales has announced it will axe 14 services and reduce the frequency of eight others.
World number three Mark Selby believes Sheffield will eventually lose the World Snooker Championship to China.
An investigation has been launched after a man was killed in a flat fire in Edinburgh.
BBC News presenter George Alagiah has been diagnosed with bowel cancer.