School buildings plans announced
Published: 24th May 2012 14:27:04
The government has announced 261 schools in England will receive money from a new school building fund.
A total of 587 applied for the cash from the Priority School Building Programme, aimed at rebuilding the most dilapidated schools.
The scheme replaces Labour's Building Schools for the Future (BSF) programme, which was controversially cancelled by the Education Secretary Michael Gove.
Hundreds of schools with building plans were disappointed by that move.
The BSF programme had been expected to cost £55bn and was set up under Labour, which pledged to rebuild every secondary school in England.
The Priority School Building Programme has a £2 bn budget for work to be done over five years.
Mr Gove had described the BSF programme as wasteful and over-bureaucratic.
After scrapping it, he set up a review of all school building plans which produced a report in April 2011. One key recommendation was a new survey of the condition of all schools in England.
Thursday's announcement had been delayed from the winter.
Applications for the Priority School Building Programme had to be submitted by mid-October 2011 - and schools had expected to hear if they had been successful in December 2011.
More than half of those which applied for these new rebuilding funds are learning that they have been unsuccessful, but the government says some will get work done through other, maintenance funds.
In a written statement to the House of Commons, Mr Gove said 42 schools were being prioritised because they were in greatest need. These were those in the worst condition or special schools, he said.
"In tackling the challenges we face on school building, I have been determined to use the capital funding at my disposal to best effect, seeking value for money and efficiency from every pound spent," his statement said.
"I recognise that many of the schools that applied and have been unsuccessful will also have significant condition needs."
The government has released a list of the schools approved for building work.
The areas getting the highest numbers of applications approved included Nottinghamshire with 15 projects and Kent with 14.
Birmingham had made 16 applications; six were approved. Sandwell had made 18 applications; three were approved.
Some areas have had just one project approved, while in Bolton, none of its five applications were successful.
The Department for Education says work on the 42 schools being prioritised for being in the greatest need will be paid for out of its capital spending budget, including savings from ongoing BSF projects.
The other projects are to be funded through Private Finance Initiatives under the £2bn Priority School Building Programme.
Sandwell was one of six councils which took Mr Gove to court over his decision to scrap the BSF programme.
In February last year the High Court ruled that the way the decision had been taken was unlawful because Mr Gove had not consulted the local authorities who had their projects cancelled.
Work is due to start on the chosen projects in the next five years, but there is no guarantee that all schemes will be completed in that time.
Earlier this month, the Local Government Association (LGA), which represents councils in England, said tens of thousands of children were being taught in crumbling buildings.
At 04:54:51 in WorldI went back to the little Japanese town of Namie this week. It lies just 5km (three miles) north of the sprawling complex that was once the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.
At 04:35:41 in HeadlinesThe search for the missing Malaysia Airlines passenger plane has been widened amid growing frustration among relatives of those missing.
At 04:09:45 in HeadlinesA meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin will not happen until Moscow engages with US proposals to tackle the crisis in Ukraine, US Secretary of State John Kerry has said.
At 04:02:58 in WorldBank of England governor Mark Carney is to be quizzed by MPs over claims some of the bank's officials knew about alleged foreign exchange rate fixing.
At 04:00:06 in BusinessVirtu, a high-frequency trading firm in New York, has filed paperwork with US regulators for a public share sale.
At 03:51:00 in HeadlinesNew Zealand is to hold a referendum on whether to change the national flag, Prime Minister John Key has announced.
At 02:41:25 in WorldShipping in the Canadian city of Vancouver has been disrupted as container lorry drivers go on strike.
At 02:15:32 in HeadlinesThe US state of Colorado collected $2m (£1.2m) in taxes from newly legalized recreational marijuana businesses in January.
At 02:14:42 in PoliticsA specialist unit should be set up to provide expertise and support for public inquiries to make them more efficient, a Lords committee has said.
At 01:59:58 in ScotlandInsane Championship Wrestling has blood, violence, bad language and a rapidly growing popularity but it all began as a way out of tough times for its founder.
Harvard CitationBBC News, 2012. School buildings plans announced [Online] (Updated 24th May 2012)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/1430677/School-buildings-plans-announced [Accessed 11th Mar 2014]
News In Other Categories
The Great Sheffield Flood of 1864 claimed the lives of at least 240 people and left more than 5,000 homes and businesses under water when the poorly constructed Dale Dyke Dam at Bradfield collapsed.
With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
Two women who were severely injured by commonly-used surgical implants have revealed their stories ahead of mass legal action against the manufacturer.
Cheryl Cole has confirmed she is to rejoin the X Factor, along with Simon Cowell, for the show's 12th series.
I went back to the little Japanese town of Namie this week. It lies just 5km (three miles) north of the sprawling complex that was once the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.
Bank of England governor Mark Carney is to be quizzed by MPs over claims some of the bank's officials knew about alleged foreign exchange rate fixing.