Manchester City parade set to attracts thousands
Published: 14th May 2012 05:43:21
Tens of thousands of Manchester City fans are expected to line the streets later for a victory parade after the club won the Premier League title.
City clinched the championship - their first since 1968 - with a dramatic 3-2 win over Queens Park Rangers on Sunday, pipping local rivals Manchester United.
The players will parade through the city in an open-top bus, starting at Albert Square at 18:30 BST.
It will travel on a 1.8 mile route, due to end in Corporation Street at 19:45.
City had led the league for much of the season but were overtaken by United, who were eight points clear with six games to go. But the Old Trafford side dropped points in several of their last few games and City went in to the final day knowing a win would make them champions.
But QPR led 2-1 after 90 minutes and Manchester City needed two injury time goals to win the game and clinch the title.
Sir Richard Leese, leader of Manchester City Council, said: "Having the city's two clubs contest the title has brought Manchester worldwide attention and helped boost tourism revenues.
"It's been a nail-biting finish to the season and the council stood ready to support a parade whichever club triumphed.
"This parade is an opportunity for Man City fans, who have experienced countless ups and downs over the years, to celebrate a resounding success.
"We expect tens of thousands to take to the streets and enjoy an historic moment."
Albert Square will be open to the public from 16:00 for the build-up to the parade and free entertainment, on a non-ticketed, first-come-first-served basis.
The players will take part in a question and answer session from 18:00 before beginning the bus-top procession through the city centre.
Over the years City have been mocked by United fans, who, until City's FA Cup win last year, had documented their wait for a trophy with a banner at Old Trafford's Stretford End.
When Manchester United were eight points clear in early April, leading high street bookmaker Betfred, founded by United fan Fred Done, paid out more than half a million pounds to punters who had backed the Red Devils. Mr Done said on Twitter the lead "was just too much for City" and "I've not got it wrong this time".
Are you a Manchester City fan? Will you line the streets for a parade? Send us your comments and experiences.
Send your pictures and videos to email@example.com or text them to 61124 (UK) or +44 7624 800 100 (International). If you have a large file you can upload here.
Read the terms and conditions
If you are happy to be contacted by a BBC journalist please leave a telephone number that we can contact you on. In some cases a selection of your comments will be published, displaying your name as you provide it and location, unless you state otherwise. Your contact details will never be published. When sending us pictures, video or eyewitness accounts at no time should you endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or infringe any laws. Please ensure you have read the terms and conditions.
Terms and conditions
At 10:00:14 in EntertainmentA judge in the US has dismissed Quentin Tarantino's case against gossip website Gawker, who he claimed helped leak his screenplay The Hateful Eight.
At 09:57:28 in EnglandA community group wanting to acquire a Forest of Dean outdoor education centre says it has offered its final bid.
At 09:53:41 in SportHooker Liam Carberry has signed a 12-month extension to his contract with Super League club Widnes Vikings.
At 09:52:16 in HeadlinesOverall crime in England and Wales fell by 15% in 2013, according to official figures.
At 09:48:12 in SportManager Nick Cushing says he is disappointed, but not worried, by Manchester City's slow start to the FA Women's Super League season.
At 09:45:58 in EnglandAn 11-year-old boy who died when he fell into a Lancashire canal has been named locally as Robbie Williamson.
At 09:44:29 in ScotlandShetland has no intention of playing its oil card and pushing for its own independence, the council leader has told me.
At 09:39:16 in SportWales Under-20 coach Byron Hayward believes the exodus of senior internationals to clubs in England and France has benefited young Welsh players.
At 09:34:52 in ScotlandMore than 40 firefighters have been involved in tackling a large blaze at a house in Macduff.
At 09:34:15 in EnglandA collection of street art works by Banksy, removed from walls, is to go on display at a London hotel before being sold at auction.
Harvard CitationBBC News, 2012. Manchester City parade set to attracts thousands [Online] (Updated 14th May 2012)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/1428294/Manchester-City-parade-set-to-attracts-thousands [Accessed 24th Apr 2014]
News In Other Categories
Shetland has no intention of playing its oil card and pushing for its own independence, the council leader has told me.
The Labour Party is looking to sever its links with the troubled Co-op Bank, bringing to an end one of the oldest political partnerships in UK.
With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
A teenager with terminal cancer will make a "transformational difference" after raising more than £1.5m, the Teenage Cancer Trust has said.
Barclays' shareholders are gathering for the bank's annual general meeting in London as anger rises over its plans to pay higher bonuses.
A judge in the US has dismissed Quentin Tarantino's case against gossip website Gawker, who he claimed helped leak his screenplay The Hateful Eight.