Ban Ki-moon condemns Sudanese air raid on South Sudan
Published: 24th Apr 2012 01:40:44
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has condemned Sudan's bombardment of a border area in South Sudan.
Mr Ban called on "the government of Sudan to cease all hostilities immediately", saying there could be no no military solution" to the two countries' simmering border dispute.
On Monday Sudanese warplanes dropped bombs near the South Sudanese town of Bentiu, witnesses said.
Earlier, Sudanese leader Omar al-Bashir ruled out talks with South Sudan.
Mr Bashir was speaking while visiting the oil field and border town of Heglig, which South Sudanese troops had occupied for nearly two weeks.
South Sudan says its forces withdrew from Heglig, but Sudan says it expelled them, killing 1,000 soldiers.
"We will not negotiate with the South's government, because they don't understand anything but the language of the gun and ammunition," Reuters news agency quoted Mr Bashir as telling troops on his arrival in Heglig.
First came the throbbing noise of a jet engine. Then the dull thump of one, then several, explosions.
People ran into sturdy buildings. Others, cooler, sauntered into the shade, sure this was not their time to die. From all over Bentiu came the irregular chatter of small arms fire, as soldiers and men in uniform tried to take out the warplane.
The men continued to fire for some time after the sky was clear. It was a futile, one-way conversation. But the jets did not achieve their aim either - the bridge that links Bentiu to Rubkona, and then the oil fields and the disputed border from the north, is still intact.
As on several previous failed attempts, civilians suffered from the bridge's good fortune. At least one was killed, his body a grotesque, mangled lump, in Rubkona market. It is far enough from the bridge for everyone here to believe this was a deliberate attempt to target civilians.
The past few months have seen sporadic fighting in the oil-rich areas along the two countries' undemarcated border, prompting concern the violence could escalate into a full-blown war.
Mr Ban called on Mr Bashir and South Sudanese President Salva Kiir "to stop the slide toward further confrontation and... to return to dialogue as a matter of urgency".
US President Barack Obama has said both countries "must have the courage" to return to the negotiating table and resolve their differences peacefully.
However, Sudan's ambassador to the UN Daffa-Alla Elhag Ali Osman accused the South of "aggression" and said his country had the right to defend itself.
"We have been targeted by... the South. We have every right to militarily repel that attack and aggression," Mr Osman told the BBC's World Today programme.
"Let me make it clear: we will not cross the international border and attack the south... inside their territories," he added.
Sudan's military commander Kamal Marouf said that 1,000 southern soldiers had been killed during the fighting for Heglig, reports the AFP news agency, whose correspondent saw an "uncountable" number of dead bodies wearing South Sudanese military uniforms.
But these casualty figures were rejected by South Sudan's Information Minister, Barnaba Marial Benjamin, who told the BBC's Focus on Africa programme that "not even a single SPLA soldier have they killed".
The air raid by Sudanese forces on the South Sudanese border town of Bentiu killed at least one person, according to witnesses.
Taban Deng, governor of Unity state, said the bombs fell on a key bridge, which leads to the border, and a market between the state capital Bentiu and the nearby town of Rubkona.
The witnesses described seeing a huge plume of smoke rising from a market and the body of a dead boy.
Mr Deng said that three civilians had also been critically wounded in the raid and were not expected to survive.
South Sudan's deputy head of intelligence, Mac Paul, described the bombing as a "declaration of war", according to the Associated Press.
The UN Security Council demanded that South Sudan withdraw its forces from Heglig and the neighbouring Abyei regions, as well as a "complete, immediate, unconditional" end to all fighting.
It also called on Sudan to stop aerial bombing raids on South Sudanese territory.
On Sunday, South Sudan's army said its withdrawal from the area was complete.
Satellite pictures of the Heglig area released on Sunday suggest key oil installations were badly damaged in the fighting and are no longer operating.
Meanwhile, South Sudan's President Kiir has arrived in China for a six-day visit during which he will meet his Chinese counterpart, Hu Jintao.
China has traditionally been an ally of diplomatically-isolated Sudan, but observers say Chinese officials are likely to push for an end to hostilities between the two countries.
The former rebel Sudan People's Liberation Movement (SPLM) has governed South Sudan since it seceded from Sudan after an overwhelming vote in favour of independence in a July 2011 referendum.
The vote was the outcome of the 2005 Comprehensive Peace Agreement, which put an end to the 22-year civil war between the former north and south of Sudan. About 1.5 million people are though to have lost their lives in the conflict.
The new state took most of the former united Sudan's oil reserves with it, but relies on pipelines to seaports in Sudan to export it.
In January, South Sudan decided to shut down oil production, which provides 98% of the government's revenue, after Khartoum impounded South Sudanese oil shipments amid a dispute over transit fees.
Both Sudan and the South are reliant on their oil revenues, which account for 98% of South Sudan's budget. But the two countries cannot agree how to divide the oil wealth of the former united state. Some 75% of the oil lies in the South but all the pipelines run north. It is feared that disputes over oil could lead the two neighbours to return to war.
Although they were united for many years, the two Sudans were always very different. The great divide is visible even from space, as this Nasa satellite image shows. The northern states are a blanket of desert, broken only by the fertile Nile corridor. South Sudan is covered by green swathes of grassland, swamps and tropical forest.
Sudan's arid north is mainly home to Arabic-speaking Muslims. But in South Sudan there is no dominant culture. The Dinkas and the Nuers are the largest of more than 200 ethnic groups, each with its own languages and traditional beliefs, alongside Christianity and Islam.
The health inequalities in Sudan are illustrated by infant mortality rates. In South Sudan, one in 10 children die before their first birthday. Whereas in the more developed northern states, such as Gezira and White Nile, half of those children would be expected to survive.
The gulf in water resources between north and south is stark. In Khartoum, River Nile, and Gezira states, two-thirds of people have access to piped drinking water and pit latrines. In the south, boreholes and unprotected wells are the main drinking sources. More than 80% of southerners have no toilet facilities whatsoever.
Throughout the two Sudans, access to primary school education is strongly linked to household earnings. In the poorest parts of the south, less than 1% of children finish primary school. Whereas in the wealthier north, up to 50% of children complete primary level education.
Conflict and poverty are the main causes of food insecurity in both countries. The residents of war-affected Darfur and South Sudan are still greatly dependent on food aid. Far more than in northern states, which tend to be wealthier, more urbanised and less reliant on agriculture.
At 19:47:12 in SportMichael Conlan and Steven Ward are among the Northern Ireland boxers entering the fray at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow on Friday.
At 19:43:03 in EnglandThe family of a severely autistic teenager says it is hopeful he will return home to Cornwall after a minister criticised his care plan.
At 19:22:39 in SportNorthern Ireland's Lisa Kearney won a bronze medal in the -52kg women's judo category in Glasgow after beating Canadian Audree Francis-Methot.
At 19:22:07 in SportLewis Hamilton wants to stay with Mercedes beyond his current contract, which expires at the end of 2015.
At 19:18:46 in SportWest Ham's Andy Carroll has torn ligaments in his ankle and could be out of action for four months.
At 19:16:27 in SportAshley McKenzie claimed gold for England in the men's judo 60kg class at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
At 18:55:19 in EnglandA boy with a form of dwarfism says he has been barred from buses five times in a fortnight in a row over his bike.
At 18:54:08 in EnglandTwo elevated seats for ambulance staff to watch for problems in the stadium were removed on the day of the tragedy at Hillsborough, the inquests heard.
At 18:51:48 in WalesA decision not to publish a document on the conclusions of a consultation on the planned M4 relief road has been criticised.
At 18:50:35 in EnglandA man accused of murdering a woman at a homeless shelter in Southampton has been cleared, after a pathologist said her death was not suspicious.
Harvard CitationBBC News, 2012. Ban Ki-moon condemns Sudanese air raid on South Sudan [Online] (Updated 24th Apr 2012)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/1424167/Ban-Ki-moon-condemns-Sudanese-air-raid-on-South-Sudan [Accessed 24th Jul 2014]
News In Other Categories
Michael Conlan and Steven Ward are among the Northern Ireland boxers entering the fray at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow on Friday.
A decision not to publish a document on the conclusions of a consultation on the planned M4 relief road has been criticised.
With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
A decision not to publish a document on the conclusions of a consultation on the planned M4 relief road has been criticised.
Twitter has become the latest tech firm to admit that most of its staff members are men.
The immersive film-experience company, Secret Cinema, has cancelled the opening night of a special screening of 1980s film Back To The Future.