01/Sep/2014 - Last News Update: 18:50

South Korea to halt North Korea rocket debris search

Category: World

Published: 17th Apr 2012 06:30:40

South Korea is to end its search for debris from North Korea's failed rocket launch without finding any fragments, its defence ministry said.

Muddy waters in the Yellow Sea, over which the rocket disintegrated on Friday, hampered the search of naval ships and helicopters, officials said.

The North said the rocket would launch a satellite, but critics saw it as a banned test of missile technology.

The UN on Monday strongly condemned the launch and ordered tighter sanctions.

At least 10 South Korean warships have been combing the waters where the Unha-3 rocket fell after exploding, 165km (105 miles) west of the South Korean capital, Seoul.

"No debris has been found and the operation will end officially at 17:00 (08:00 GMT)," a defence ministry spokesman was quoted by AFP news agency as saying.

Vessels from China, Russia and the US have also been searching for rocket debris, South Korean officials have said. Experts say the debris could offer an insight into the technology used by the North.

The North had warned before the launch that any attempts by other nations to retrieve any debris would result in "ruthless" retaliation.

On Monday, the 15-member UN Security Council, which includes North Korean ally China, said in a statement that the launch highlighted "grave security concerns" in Asia.

It ordered new items to be placed on North Korea's sanctions list, and a revision of the list of people and businesses subject to asset freezes.

The Security Council has already imposed tough sanctions on North Korea after rocket launches in 2006 and 2009.

Pyongyang agreed in February to a partial freeze on nuclear activities and a missile test moratorium in return for US food aid. But that deal was put on hold last month after the North announced its rocket launch plans.

Under the deal, UN nuclear inspectors would have been allowed into the country. But reports from Japan, citing unnamed senior US diplomats, said Pyongyang had now put talks on this aspect of the deal on hold.

Source:
BBC News External Link Show Citation

Latest News

Harvard Citation

BBC News, 2012. South Korea to halt North Korea rocket debris search [Online] (Updated 17th Apr 2012)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/1422756/South-Korea-to-halt-North-Korea-rocket-debris-search [Accessed 1st Sep 2014]

News In Other Categories

  • Woman's body discovered in Loch Morlich, near Aviemore

    A woman's body has been found in a loch in the Cairngorms.
  • Bristol Academy extends reach overseas with first foreign students

    With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
  • Boris Island airport plan 'to be rejected'

    A plan for an island airport in the Thames estuary will be rejected, the BBC understands.
  • Lebanon army gets body of soldier 'beheaded by IS'

    The Lebanese army has received the remains of a missing solider believed to have been beheaded by militants from Islamic State (IS).
  • 'Cloud' concerns after celebrity picture leaks

    Experts have raised concerns over the security of "cloud" storage sites following the leak of intimate pictures of celebrities.
  • Policeman to go on trial over six euro theft

    An Irish police officer is due to go on trial in December charged with stealing 6.25 euros (£4.94)