North Korea rocket launch fails
Published: 13th Apr 2012 06:51:13
North Korea's keenly-watched rocket launch has failed, Pyongyang has confirmed.
The rocket - seen by many as a banned test of long-range missile technology - was launched from north-west North Korea early on Friday.
The US, Japan and South Korea say it flew only for a short time before breaking up and crashing into waters off the Korean peninsula.
North Korea said its scientists were assessing what had caused the failure.
North Korea says the aim of the rocket was to launch a satellite into orbit - a move marking the 100th anniversary of the birth of national founder Kim Il-sung.
But the US and other nations say the launch constituted a disguised test of long-range missile technology banned under UN resolutions.
In a statement, the White House condemned the launch, despite its failure. The UN Security Council is due to meet later in the day to discuss the launch. China, North Korea's closest ally, has called for calm and restraint on the Korean peninsula.
The rocket went up at 07:39 local time (22:39 GMT Thursday), South Korean officials said.
Its intended flight path would have taken it south, to the west of the Korean peninsula between Japan and the Philippines.
Both Japan and South Korea had threatened to shoot it down if it threatened their territory.
But officials from several nations observing the launch said the rocket had failed.
North Korea's launch... is a clear breach of the UN resolution that prohibits any launch using ballistic missile technology ”
"Initial indications are that the first stage of the missile fell into the sea 165km (105 miles) west of Seoul, South Korea," the North American Aerospace Defense Command (Norad) said in a statement.
"The remaining stages were assessed to have failed and no debris fell on land. At no time were the missile or the resultant debris a threat."
Japan reported similar details.
"At approximately 07:40 we confirmed that a certain flying object was launched from North Korea and fell after flying for just over a minute," Japanese Defence Minister Naoki Tanaka said.
South Korea said the rocket exploded into some 20 pieces and fell into the sea.
"We are conducting a search operation to retrieve the fallen objects," a defence ministry official said.
Some five hours after the launch, North Korea confirmed it had been unsuccessful.
"The Earth observation satellite failed to enter its preset orbit. Scientists, technicians and experts are now looking into the cause of the failure," state-run KCNA news agency said. State television carried a similar announcement.
The BBC's Damian Grammaticas, who is one of a number of foreign journalists invited into North Korea for the launch, said the group had not been given any more information beyond that brief statement.
The rocket's failure, our correspondent said, is an embarrassment for the North Korean leadership.
It will also come, analysts say, as a relief to many countries who are worried about North Korea's potential to deliver weapons via long-range missiles.
The US said that North Korea's behaviour was of concern to the global community.
"Despite the failure of its attempted missile launch, North Korea's provocative action threatens regional security, violates international law and contravenes its own recent commitments," a White House statement said.
Pyongyang agreed in February to a partial freeze in nuclear activities and a missile test moratorium in return for US food aid. But that deal was put on hold last month after the North announced its rocket launch plans.
Earlier this week reports also emerged from South Korea of a possible third nuclear test being planned by North Korea.
North Korea conducted a similar rocket launch in 2009. On that occasion US and South Korea analysts said the rocket failed to reach orbit - but North Korea said it was a success.
The failure of this launch could pose a challenge for Pyongyang, which is holding a week of high-profile events ahead of the formal celebrations to mark Kim Il-sung's birthday on Sunday.
The Workers' Party held a rare conference on Wednesday and the country's rubber-stamp parliament is due to meet on Friday.
Both meetings are seen as formalising the transition of power to young leader Kim Jong-un following the death of his father Kim Jong-il in December 2011.
At 10:00:14 in EntertainmentA judge in the US has dismissed Quentin Tarantino's case against gossip website Gawker, who he claimed helped leak his screenplay The Hateful Eight.
At 09:57:28 in EnglandA community group wanting to acquire a Forest of Dean outdoor education centre says it has offered its final bid.
At 09:53:41 in SportHooker Liam Carberry has signed a 12-month extension to his contract with Super League club Widnes Vikings.
At 09:52:16 in HeadlinesOverall crime in England and Wales fell by 15% in 2013, according to official figures.
At 09:48:12 in SportManager Nick Cushing says he is disappointed, but not worried, by Manchester City's slow start to the FA Women's Super League season.
At 09:45:58 in EnglandAn 11-year-old boy who died when he fell into a Lancashire canal has been named locally as Robbie Williamson.
At 09:44:29 in ScotlandShetland has no intention of playing its oil card and pushing for its own independence, the council leader has told me.
At 09:39:16 in SportWales Under-20 coach Byron Hayward believes the exodus of senior internationals to clubs in England and France has benefited young Welsh players.
At 09:34:52 in ScotlandMore than 40 firefighters have been involved in tackling a large blaze at a house in Macduff.
At 09:34:15 in EnglandA collection of street art works by Banksy, removed from walls, is to go on display at a London hotel before being sold at auction.
Harvard CitationBBC News, 2012. North Korea rocket launch fails [Online] (Updated 13th Apr 2012)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/1422105/North-Korea-rocket-launch-fails [Accessed 24th Apr 2014]
News In Other Categories
A teenager with terminal cancer will make a "transformational difference" after raising more than £1.5m, the Teenage Cancer Trust has said.
Hooker Liam Carberry has signed a 12-month extension to his contract with Super League club Widnes Vikings.
Shares in Qualcomm, one of the world's biggest chipmakers, fell 5% in after hours trading as it issued a weaker than expected growth outlook.
With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
Plans for a new opencast coal mine creating 50 jobs in the south Wales valleys are being recommended for approval by local councillors.
Two cars have been destroyed in separate arson attacks in Antrim.