24/Apr/2014 - Last News Update: 23:35

Michael Gove calls for faith pupil limit in Twickenham school

Category: England

Published: 30th Mar 2012 15:14:04

The Education Secretary Michael Gove has suggested a proposed new Catholic school should limit its intake to 50% of Catholic pupils.

The proposed secondary school is in Twickenham, the constituency of Business Secretary Vince Cable, who wrote to him about the issue.

Mr Gove said he would welcome a cap.

A few years ago, the Roman Catholic Church fought attempts by Labour to open up new Church schools in England to the wider population.

Letters between the two ministers have been leaked and copies seen by the BBC.

New laws mean that new free schools and academies, if they are faith-based, have to limit their "faith intake" to 50% of the total, if they are over-subscribed.

But such legislation does not apply to the school being proposed by the Diocese of Westminster for Twickenham.

That plan is for a voluntary-aided school.

Generally, the Church says its schools in London are oversubscribed by Catholics, while others elsewhere have a more mixed intake.

In a reply to Mr Cable, Mr Gove wrote: "The school will be able to admit pupils on the grounds of faith, but the 50% non-faith provision for the schools admissions will not apply.

"The suggestion that the school takes on a similar position voluntarily seems very sensible to me, and I would welcome such a move."

The deputy director of the Catholic Education Service, Greg Pope, said Catholic parents in the area had been asking for the school.

"We would not seek to open a new voluntary-aided school unless there was demand to fill it," he said.

"Given that there is [demand], that means you would be in the odd position where you build a Catholic school and turn Catholics away and offer others places simply on the grounds that they are not Catholic.

"That would be extraordinary."

Richmond Council has consulted on the proposals for the school, which is earmarked for the site of an adult education college.

The plan, if approved, would mean the 1,000-pupil mixed school would open in September 2013.

There are also plans for a Catholic primary school at the same site. There are no Catholic secondaries in the borough.

Alternative proposals are being put forward for free schools for the area.

The Richmond Inclusive Schools Campaign has collected more than 3,000 signatures for a petition asking the council to ensure that every state-funded school opening in the borough from now on is open to all.

The group is supported by the Accord Coalition, which aims to promote "inclusive schools".

Chairman of the group Rabbi Jonathan Romain said he was encouraged by Mr Gove's comments.

"The freedom that faith schools have to discriminate in the selection of pupils on religious grounds has long passed its sell-by date," he said.

Mr Pope, from the Catholic Education Service, said he was not concerned about Mr Gove's comments, because the Church had received assurances from the Department for Education and the law was clear.

The 50% limit could not be applied to voluntary-aided faith schools which became academies, he added.

Dozens of Catholic schools in England are currently switching to academy status, together with other community schools. There are now 68 Catholic academies and Mr Pope estimates there will be "hundreds" by the end of the year.

Source:
BBC News External Link Show Citation

Latest News

Harvard Citation

BBC News, 2012. Michael Gove calls for faith pupil limit in Twickenham school [Online] (Updated 30th Mar 2012)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/1419773/Michael-Gove-calls-for-faith-pupil-limit-in-Twickenham-school [Accessed 25th Apr 2014]

News In Other Categories

  • Bernie Ecclestone: Q&A on Formula 1 supremo's bribery trial

    Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone made his first appearance in a Munich court on Thursday, accused of giving a £27.5m ($45m, 33m euros) bribe to a German banker.
  • Hillsborough Wikipedia changes: Government promises 'urgent inquiries'

    The government says it is making "urgent inquiries" into reports Whitehall computers were used to make insulting comments about the Hillsborough disaster.
  • Teenager cut free from child's swing at Rhyl park

    A 15 year-old girl has been cut free after becoming trapped in a children's swing in a park in Denbighshire.
  • Bristol Academy extends reach overseas with first foreign students

    With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
  • European election candidates in Northern Ireland revealed

    Ten candidates will be vying for three European parliament seats in Northern Ireland, it has been confirmed.
  • Scottish independence: Ed Miliband makes case for Union

    Scottish independence would leave working people north and south of the border worse off, Ed Miliband has claimed.