Daffodil poisoning warning to Bristol Chinese community
Published: 2nd Mar 2012 13:34:29
Bristol's Chinese community is being warned not to eat daffodils after several people were treated in hospital for the symptoms of poisoning.
The Health Protection Agency (HPA) said the 10 people who had eaten daffodil stalks and leaves were treated in hospital for severe vomiting.
An HPA statement said they may have mistaken the green parts of the flower for a chive used in Chinese cooking.
All affected patients have since recovered.
Notices are being delivered to supermarkets in the city by officers from environmental health and trading standards, reminding them that daffodil stalks and leaves should be displayed away from food produce and clearly labelled.
The HPA said: "Any supermarket identified has been approached and agreed to immediately install point of sale signage and product labels in English, Cantonese and Mandarin, stating that these flowers are not edible."
An information leaflet warning about the dangers of eating daffodils will also be distributed to the local Chinese community.
Dr Mark Evans, from the South West health protection unit said: "Daffodils are toxic and severe vomiting and diarrhoea can occur if eaten by mistake.
"Although very unpleasant, most people will recover fully without treatment.
"We want to ensure that the Chinese community is aware how easily the daffodil stalk and unopened bud can be confused with Chinese chives and to be careful what they buy, especially at this time of the year."
Chinese chives (allium tuberosum), or garlic chives as they are also called, are a close relative of ordinary chives and can be grown by the same cultivation methods.
They are a common ingredient in Chinese cooking and are often used to make dumplings.
The HPA is working with NHS Bristol and Bristol City Council to investigate the incidents.
At 08:45:55 in SportScarlets hooker Ken Owens says the region are targeting a top four finish in the Pro12.
At 08:38:35 in WorldIndia's Supreme Court has said that politicians with criminal records should not be appointed as ministers.
At 08:37:44 in Northern IrelandJames Nesbitt, the detective who led the hunt for the notorious Shankill Butchers gang, has died aged 79.
At 08:23:41 in HeadlinesA nine year-old girl in the US has killed her shooting instructor by accident while being shown how to use a high-powered automatic weapon.
At 08:22:06 in EnglandThe John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford has opened a drop-in centre aimed at tackling unhealthy lifestyles.
At 08:11:28 in HeadlinesNew counter-terrorism units have been set up at two Australian airports, PM Tony Abbott says, amid concern over Australians fighting in Iraq and Syria.
At 07:56:33 in ScotlandRoyal Bank of Scotland has been fined £14.5m by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) for "serious failings" in its mortgage sales business.
At 07:54:39 in Northern IrelandA 57-year-old man has died at a commercial premises in County Antrim.
At 07:53:39 in WalesHollywood actor Michael Sheen will soon be heard reading bite-size extracts of Dylan Thomas poems across Swansea.
At 07:50:44 in BusinessUS defence giant Lockheed Martin has struck a deal with an Australian technology firm to track space debris that can damage satellites.
Harvard CitationBBC News, 2012. Daffodil poisoning warning to Bristol Chinese community [Online] (Updated 2nd Mar 2012)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/1415525/Daffodil-poisoning-warning-to-Bristol-Chinese-community [Accessed 27th Aug 2014]
News In Other Categories
James Nesbitt, the detective who led the hunt for the notorious Shankill Butchers gang, has died aged 79.
Royal Bank of Scotland has been fined £14.5m by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) for "serious failings" in its mortgage sales business.
Scarlets hooker Ken Owens says the region are targeting a top four finish in the Pro12.
India's Supreme Court has said that politicians with criminal records should not be appointed as ministers.
One in three of us is allergic. From grass pollen to latex, peanuts to pets, allergies send 20,000 of people in England to hospital every year.
Note: This feature on Kate Bush's comeback concert contains spoilers.