24/Apr/2014 - Last News Update: 08:00

Japan collision footage leak probe gets under way

Category: Headlines

Published: 9th Nov 2010 12:15:20

Japanese prosecutors have begun an investigation into the leak of footage showing a collision between Chinese and Japanese ships near disputed islands that sparked a bitter diplomatic row.

The footage, shot in early September, was leaked to YouTube late last week.

It had previously only been shown to security personnel and some lawmakers for fear it could exacerbate the row.

On Tuesday, prosecutors seized records from Google to help identify the source of the leak, media reports said.

Google owns the YouTube video-sharing site.

The collision itself took place on 7 September near islands known as Senkaku in Japan and Diaoyu in China. The islands are controlled by Japan but claimed by China.

A Chinese trawler was seized after it hit two Japanese coast guard vessels near the islands, which have rich fishing grounds.

The incident triggered a political row that has yet to subside, with nationalist sentiment inflamed on both sides.

The Japanese government admitted on Monday that the footage posted on YouTube was authentic.

It shows the fishing vessel colliding with a Japanese coast guard ship, as its crew shout warnings for the ship to stop.

Officials say they do not know how the leak occurred.

"In order to quickly resolve the facts behind this incident, we filed a criminal complaint, because there are limits as to what we can achieve with an internal investigation," said coast guard chief Hisayasu Suzuki.

The footage has since been widely shown on Japanese television.

On Saturday, 3,000 people joined an anti-China demonstration in Tokyo to demand it abandon its claim to the islands. There have also been protests in China over the row.

The leak comes as Japan prepares to host the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum (Apec) summit in Yokohama on Saturday.

It is still not clear whether Chinese President Hu Jintao and Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan will hold a formal meeting there.

Source:
BBC News External Link Show Citation

Latest News

Harvard Citation

BBC News, 2010. Japan collision footage leak probe gets under way [Online] (Updated 9th Nov 2010)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/106384/Japan-collision-footage-leak-probe-gets-under-way [Accessed 24th Apr 2014]

News In Other Categories

  • South Korea school reopens after ferry disaster

    The South Korean school devastated by the loss of many of its students in a ferry disaster last week has started to hold classes again.
  • Labour Party seeks to cut links with Co-op Bank

    The Labour Party is looking to sever its links with the troubled Co-op Bank, bringing to an end one of the oldest political partnerships in UK.
  • Qualcomm shares dip on weak outlook

    Shares in Qualcomm, one of the world's biggest chipmakers, fell 5% in after hours trading as it issued a weaker than expected growth outlook.
  • Bristol Academy extends reach overseas with first foreign students

    With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
  • Cold mountains: Snapshots from avalanche team's latest season

    The last avalanche forecast of the latest Sportscotland Avalanche Information Service (SAIS) season has been published.
  • Euro 2020: Football Association of Wales ready to submit bid

    Football Association of Wales chief executive Jonathan Ford hopes the Uefa Super Cup will act as a platform in Cardiff's bid to be one of the host cities for Euro 2020.