23/Aug/2014 - Last News Update: 02:12

Spending Review: £1bn rail electrification faces cuts

Category: England

Published: 18th Oct 2010 16:50:07

Rail projects across the Thames Valley are set to be in the firing line in the government's Spending Review.

The BBC understands a £1bn plan to electrify the Great Western Main Line between London and Swansea, through Berkshire and Oxfordshire, may be axed.

A contract for a new fleet of trains to replace the 35-year-old carriages through Reading could also go.

One passenger group said the area would be hit hard. The Government said nothing had been decided.

Plans to electrify the Great Western Main Line - which would also benefit Wiltshire and Bristol - were attacked by the Conservatives when they were announced by the previous Labour government last year.

While plans to replace Britain's aging fleet of intercity trains, which run through the Thames Valley, were put on hold earlier this year and could be axed altogether in the review.

Chris Irwin, chair of TravelWatch SouthWest, said: "I think we should be worried, we are looking at something like a 40% cut in the money available to subside bus services and train services.

"There are question marks on electrification and replacing the 35-year-old trains, but that is just the start of it.

"We are going to see in the next few years fares up.

"We are going to see less reliable services if the 35-year-old trains aren't replaced. The Thames Valley will be hit hard."

A special BBC News season examining the approaching cuts to public sector spending

BBC South's transport correspondent Paul Clifton said: "We were promised last year a new generation of intercity trains.

"If that is cancelled, and almost everyone thinks it will be, are we going to have to survive with these trains for another 20 years?"

He also said many in the industry thought the electrification was also at risk in light of the tight economic situation.

A Department for Transport spokesman said: "Decisions on the future of the Intercity Express Programme and the electrification of the rail network will be made in light of the Spending Review announcement [to be made on Wednesday]."

Source:
BBC News External Link Show Citation

Latest News

Harvard Citation

BBC News, 2010. Spending Review: £1bn rail electrification faces cuts [Online] (Updated 18th Oct 2010)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news/100040/Spending-Review-1bn-rail-electrification-faces-cuts [Accessed 23rd Aug 2014]

News In Other Categories

  • Man, 25, injured in north Belfast stabbing

    A 25-year-old man has been taken to hospital after a suspected stabbing in north Belfast.
  • Evan Blass: King of the leakers

    Can you keep a secret? The technology industry sure can't.
  • National Guard begins to withdraw from Ferguson

    The National Guard has begun withdrawing from Ferguson, Missouri, where the shooting of an unarmed black teenager by a white policeman has sparked days of protests.
  • Glasgow hosts World Street Dance Championships

    About 6,000 people are expected to attend the World Street Dance Championships in Glasgow this weekend.
  • Bristol Academy extends reach overseas with first foreign students

    With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol based S&B Automotive Academy, is showcasing its world-class facilities by launching a series of foreign student exchanges for the first time in its 41-year history. To get a flavour of what life is like as an apprentice in the UK, the Academy hosted 16 apprentice engineers and bus drivers from the G9 Automotive College in Hamburg, Germany, as part of a Europe-wide vocational training initiative called the ‘Leonardo Programme’ with support from the European Social Fund. In a reciprocal arrangement, S&B will be sending nine apprentices to Germany during February 2012 so that they can get an appreciation of life in the automotive industry on the Continent. A further three German exchange groups are being planned for next year. Designed to assist the development of vocational skills and training across Europe, including work placements for trainees, the Leonardo Programme has a budget of €1.75bn, which is helping to encourage UK organisations to work with their counterparts abroad. In what is expected to be another challenging year for employers in the UK automotive sector, S&B’s Chief Executive, Jon Winter, claims that the exchange initiative will bring many benefits to the Academy and its apprentices: “In a world of global automotive brands, it’s important for our learners to understand the international context of the industry they have chosen to make their career. This new exchange programme will enable apprentices and Academy staff alike to achieve a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the automotive arena in Europe. With the Academy’s influence also extending to the USA and Asia, there’s every possibility that this initiative could move further afield in the future.” Continued Winter: “The need for skilled technicians across the world is on the increase and we actively encourage our apprentices to look at broader horizons during their training. Many of them have already learned the phrase ‘Vorsprung durch Gelehrtheit’, quite simply, ‘Advancement through learning.” In the 2010/11 academic year, S&B doubled the number of successful Apprenticeships over the previous year with some 350 apprentices graduating from the Academy. At the same time, achievement levels reached an all-time high with an overall success rate of 85%. For those learners on the Advanced Apprenticeship three-year programme, success rates were even higher, at over 98%. PHOTO CAPTION: As part of their exchange visit, S&B Automotive Academy arranged for the German apprentices to visit Hampshire bus operator, Bluestar, at its Barton Park depot. The students are pictured with S&B’s Andy West (3rd right) and Steve Prewett, Bluestar’s Area Engineering Manager (2nd right). Ends http://www.sandbaa.com
  • Rory McIlroy fights back at The Barclays PGA Tour play-off event

    Rory McIlroy fought back from a rusty start with a second-round 65 to ease into contention in the first of the four PGA Tour play-off events.