Haiti cholera reaches Dominican Republic
Published: 17th Nov 2010 01:03:03
The Dominican Republic has detected its first case of cholera, following the outbreak of the disease in neighbouring Haiti last month.
The patient is a Haitian migrant who had recently returned from his homeland, the health minister said.
The Dominican authorities had stepped up border controls and health checks to try to stop cholera from spreading from Haiti.
More than 1,000 Haitians have died of the disease.
Dominican health minister Bautista Rojas said the patient, a 32-year-old Haitian construction worker, was being treated in isolation in the eastern town of Higuey.
Like Haiti, the Dominican Republic had not had a confirmed case of cholera in more than a century until this year.
In Haiti, the government says 1,034 people have died and the disease is still spreading rapidly.
The charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) said its treatment centres in the capital, Port-au-Prince, were being overwhelmed by new patients.
Gunshots, throwing bottles, barricades of burning tires will not help us eradicate cholera.”
"If the number of cases continues to increase at the same rate, then we are going to have to adopt some drastic measures to be able to treat people," said MSF's head of mission Stefano Zannini.
"I can easily see this situation deteriorating to the point where patients are lying in the street, waiting for treatment."
The epidemic has provoked fear and anger in Haiti. The country was already struggling to recover from a devastating earthquake in January which killed about 230,000 people in and around the capital Port-au-Prince and shattered its already poor infrastructure.
On Monday two people died during violent protests against UN peacekeepers, whom some Haitians accuse of bringing cholera into Haiti.
At least one of the men was shot dead by the UN troops.
There were further clashes between youths and peacekeepers in several towns on Tuesday.
Haitian president Rene Preval has appealed for calm.
"Disorder and instability have never brought solutions to a country going through hard times," Mr Preval said.
"Gunshots, throwing bottles, barricades of burning tyres will not help us eradicate cholera. On the contrary, it will prevent the sick from receiving care."
President Preval also accused unnamed groups of exploiting the cholera epidemic to provoke popular unrest against the government and the UN mission, Minustah, ahead of presidential elections due on 28 November.
The UN has said there is no evidence to support allegations that cholera was brought into Haiti by peacekeepers from Nepal, where the disease in endemic.
Harvard CitationBBC News, 2010. Haiti cholera reaches Dominican Republic. [Online] (Updated 17 Nov 2010)
Available at: http://www.ukwirednews.com/news.php/108598-Haiti-cholera-reaches-Dominican-Republic [Accessed 25th May 2013]
Chilean authorities have fined the world's largest gold mining company, Barrick Gold Corp, more than $16m for environmental offences. ...
At 23:42:13 in HeadlinesMI5 asked Woolwich murder suspect Michael Adebolajo if he wanted to work for them, a childhood friend has said....
At 23:29:35 in WorldToronto Mayor Rob Ford has denied allegations he was caught on camera smoking crack cocaine....
At 23:28:54 in HeadlinesPortuguese author and journalist Miguel Sousa Tavares is under investigation for calling President Anibal Cavaco Silva "a clown" i...
At 22:56:37 in HeadlinesChina has signed the framework of a free-trade agreement with Switzerland, which could become Beijing's first such deal with a major We...
At 22:37:07 in EnglandA Metropolitan Police officer has been charged with assaulting a person at a north London police station....
At 21:55:02 in WorldUS President Barack Obama has lifted a moratorium on the transfer of Yemeni prisoners held at Guantanamo Bay as part of a renewed push to cl...
At 21:42:40 in EnglandThe daughter of a man killed on his way home from a mosque says she believes his death was racially-motivated....
At 21:01:31 in HeadlinesThe Nigerian army says it has destroyed a number of well-equipped camps used by the militant Islamist group, Boko Haram, in the north-east o...
At 20:38:55 in WorldA dancer alleged to have had paid sex as a minor with Italy's ex-leader Silvio Berlusconi told a court that she had lied to investigato...
News In Other Categories
As a report says early access to extreme online pornography can leave children with a distorted view of sex, one woman talks candidly and ex...
With the doors to its brand new £1million training centre officially open, one of the UK's leading apprentice training providers, Bristol ba...
The Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables have been announced as shows performing free songs to the public, to mark 350 years of West End ...
News Corp has announced it will officially split its publishing and entertainment businesses on 28 June....
The M4 motorway has been closed eastbound because of a multi-vehicle crash on the second Severn Crossing....
RBS has apologised for the second time in two months after customers were unable to log in to their accounts through their mobile phone app....